Are people who doubt their own existence retarded?

Started by rex, April 20, 2014, 09:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shol'va

Ultimately it is mental masturbation and I've personally completely lost interest because it has no functional application. And the reason why that is is because ultimately we all have to go back to our lives and live it as if we are NOT brains in a vat.
Those that believe this is an illusion, a la Inception, or a la The Matrix, inevitably end up removing themselves from the gene pool.
Even those people that contemplate "brain in vat" idea must ultimately accept the possibility of being wrong, so putting your head on a railway waiting for the train to run you over in order for you to "wake up" is ultimately a gamble that a smart and reasonable person would choose not to entertain.

So at the end of the day, no matter what your assumptions are, we all go right back to living our lives on the assumption of this reality being real, material, etc. So to the person raising this philosophical argument, I am inclined to say "cool; I am going to go right back to eating my lunch now" and chances are they will do the same.

phattmatt

Those who doubt their existence probably need to get laid

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Notthesun

Well, Hume did deny Descartes claim that because he thinks therefore he is. He denied it because he said we are simply bundles of experience. There is no I.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Jason Harvestdancer

There are those who make a philosophical point about the self not existing.

So I said to one "if I'm mistaken about my own existence, who is making the mistake?"

They said that was just a verbal trick and wouldn't answer the question.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on April 20, 2014, 09:14:05 AM
don't be a tard bro..er......imagination bro. I am aware that I am non-existent to an extent that my existence is being used for nefarious reasons by some outside force. I am in fact a bundle of cells used to generate small electrical currents which provide power to them for whatever they need. For that they invented everything there is for me to enjoy in my short or long life. Currently, I am a mid fifties (in a planet called earths years- whatever that means) with a wife who has shunned sex, living with an apparition of a grandkid, and watching a ceiling fan as if blows what feels like cool air across my imaginative face. Life is great as a figment of my imagination. Unfortunately when I am terminated, or die, or am whatever they do when I am done, you will cease to exist as well. Ain't that the shits. You, who don't exist, are determined only by the supplanted imagery given to me by whoever they are....peace out....aw.. fuck off, I hate talking to myself.

That was deep, bro.  :think: