News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Challenge You To a Debate

Started by Casparov, April 18, 2014, 09:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

QuoteMaterialism does not predict the existence of consciousness.

- Casparov

Materialism does not predict the solar system.

Materialism does not predict the Big Bang Theory.

Materialism does not predict life.

Materialism does not predict the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Materialism does not predict the conservation of matter/energy.

Materialism does not predict the conservation of momentum.

Materialism does not predict entropy.

Materialism does not predict the hydrogen atom.

Materialism does not predict Hollywood.

Materialism does not predict gravity.

Materialism does not predict Game of Thrones.

Materialism does not predict sex.

Materialism does not predict booze.

Materialism does not predict Casparov.

Bibliofagus

Not to mention the fact that idealism never predicted or explained anything whatsoever.
Except maybe consiousness, but that is asserted in the definition. Casparovs position is a great big god of the gaps fallacy, which in this case - ironically - only inflates the gap to epic proportions.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

stromboli

The longer it goes the sillier it gets. I've learned being on here that it is an unwinnable debate for any theist, simply because regardless of philosophical stance, there is no way to quantify a supernatural being. Every piece of evidence Casparov supplied on here is either philosophical or based on (mostly misinterpreted) theory.

You are automatically boxed into a corner when debating a specific belief that lacks no physical evidence. He tried to write off materialism from the beginning to eliminate any evidence we would provide, but has failed to do so. I predicted the outcome some time ago as he said she said nobody admits defeat. Silly.

Solitary

It is believed that there are "LAWS" of God, nature, and science. This view is unfounded. These Laws are simply human inventions: models to describe observations. Far from helping to advance science, the notion of universal law that came from medieval theology has held back science to this day. Modern science, evolution, and cosmology show the ambiguity of change, but also the absence of hierarchy, that humans are not the result of divine guidance and in the image of a god, in direct contradiction to medieval view.

We share the same genetics with bacteria and the same physics with rocks. Magic, the mind, sorcery, and astrology are not confirmed as separate forces of nature. Science finds no support for revelation as a source information, no sign of intelligent design accept by humans, and to top it off not everything needs a cause. A multiverse is eternal, with no beginning, no end, and no need for a creator. Solitary     
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Casparov

Quote from: Solitary on May 04, 2014, 02:23:21 PM
A multiverse is eternal, with no beginning, no end, and no need for a creator. Solitary   

:think: Sounds like a mystical explanation to me.... I don't believe in magic, you got some hard science to back this up buddy? Evidence? Experiments? Proof? Or are you just making shit up to keep your beliefs intact. Casparov
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

leo

Solitary doesn't  need evidence for his assertion Casparov.  He only needs the Chuck Norris approval.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

stromboli

Quote from: Casparov on May 04, 2014, 03:18:58 PM
:think: Sounds like a mystical explanation to me.... I don't believe in magic, you got some hard science to back this up buddy? Evidence? Experiments? Proof? Or are you just making shit up to keep your beliefs intact. Casparov

Hard science, evidence, experiments and proof are what we have been giving your for many days now, and you have denied it. And I don't think Solitary is your buddy.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: stromboli on May 04, 2014, 04:39:00 PM
Hard science, evidence, experiments and proof are what we have been giving your for many days now, and you have denied it. And I don't think Solitary is your buddy.

I find it odd that a guy that has yet to offer one shred of actual evidence is demanding it now...
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Bibliofagus

I wonder how one can debate / assert anything at all based on the view that we live in something like the matrix. Can anyone help me with this? I may be a simple mind but it seems to me that if everything is just an illusion any statement about reality is arbitrary.

Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

stromboli

Quote from: Bibliofagus on May 05, 2014, 05:15:15 AM
I wonder how one can debate / assert anything at all based on the view that we live in something like the matrix. Can anyone help me with this? I may be a simple mind but it seems to me that if everything is just an illusion any statement about reality is arbitrary.

Like I said earlier, its all he said she said bleep bleep walk away with no agreement and nobody agreeing to losing.
Casparov's entire argument is based on a philosophy that has by definition no ultimate proof. And for the fourth (4th) time, you can't prove the existence of a god, because no one ever has, and Casparov has no new arguments; only reinterpretation of old ones.

If anybody ever had real proof of the existence of god, they would be posting it on every website and painting it on every wall on the planet. Don't see that happening.

Bibliofagus

Thanks Strom. I guessed as much. All these walls of text replying to him led me to believe there was actually some meat to his argument.

stromboli

Quote from: Bibliofagus on May 05, 2014, 04:42:05 PM
Thanks Strom. I guessed as much. All these walls of text replying to him led me to believe there was actually some meat to his argument.

Yeah. apparently went all ape in Philosophy 101 and decided to come on here and "school" us.

Solitary

Quote from: Casparov on May 04, 2014, 03:18:58 PM
No, I'm not like you. You say you don't believe in magic but believe there is a magical man in the sky. And I have also posted hard (physical) evidence to back it up. There are no proofs in science silly. Everything is tentative and theory until further evidence disproves it. Solitary

Solitary

Quote from: stromboli on May 04, 2014, 04:39:00 PM

Oh contraire, he is my new chew toy. A funda"mental"ist that isn't, but believes in a God that is mental, when it is he and actually realizes it. paranoid schizophrenics are good at rationalizing their delusions.  Sorry! That was poisoning the well. But it is only mental.  Solitary

josephpalazzo

Well, if God isn't real then he's a figment of the mental activity of our brain, and so perhaps Casparov has a POINT. :rotflmao: