Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Challenge You To a Debate

Started by Casparov, April 18, 2014, 09:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shol'va on April 24, 2014, 09:23:16 AM
How about this rule.
You can't move forward with the argument unless you have addressed all the points the other person raised, in a concise, explicit, clear and conclusive manner.

And on the other hand, do not be insincere and raise a point just to score a "gotcha" point. The contentions must be legit.

Here's another rule. No dishonest debate tactics, no engaging in semantics, no clever attempts to misrepresent and shift the burden of proof.

No logical fallacies, no assertions without at least an explanation as to why to back them up and/or external references.

The intros should also clearly establish each person's views: are you a skeptic, atheist, materialist, theist, etc. to rule out the possibility of talking past each other.

Make NO statements about the other person's positions without explicitly asking them first where they stand. For example, no "you're a materialist" or "you're a nihilist"!

I would be willing and more than happy to moderate and interject when necessary. I'm no stranger to objectivity. In fact my profession requires it.

I think a limit on pages makes sense, but this limit may be extended at the discretion of the moderator if a good reason is provided and inquiry is necessary for further clarification.

Agreed?

I can get down with that.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Casparov

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 24, 2014, 11:35:05 AM
I can get down with that.

I can agree with these as well.

Shol'va you are welcome to moderate. I guess we can agree on an 11 page limit and if Shol'va decides it should be extended he can make that decision.

Another rule I thought of should be no videos or copy and pasted articles.
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

Solitary

How about no Slick Maneuvers allowed as a rule? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shol'va

I think it goes without saying, no insults either or passive aggressiveness. Let's stay objective.
Casparov, go ahead and initiate the thread and we'll see you there!

Casparov

Quote from: Shol'va on April 24, 2014, 02:04:14 PM
I think it goes without saying, no insults either or passive aggressiveness. Let's stay objective.
Casparov, go ahead and initiate the thread and we'll see you there!

One debate thread coming your way. Play ball!  :vegetasmiley:
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

Solitary

This should be fun! OK all you rationalist and logic knowers---let's see how many fallacies we can count in the debate? Solitary

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Casparov on April 24, 2014, 12:48:42 PM

Another rule I thought of should be no videos or copy and pasted articles.

One last question; that counts for 'links to articles' as well, right? Not just copies of abstracts or paragraphs?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shol'va

References are fine, as are short abstracts. If we start quoting lengthy articles, the thread is going to be hard to follow.
The expectation is that each individual will follow the reference and read the article themselves.

Jason78

Quote from: Casparov on April 25, 2014, 01:48:02 AM
It is either the case that reality exists in such a way that god exists, or reality exists in such a way that no god exists. Both of these propositions bear the full weight of the burden of proof because both make a positive claim about the nature of reality.

Oh dear...

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

It is either the case that reality exists in such a way that GHOSTS exist, or reality exists in such a way that no GHOST exists. Both of these propositions bear the full weight of the burden of proof because both make a positive claim about the nature of reality.

:hang:

Solitary

Right off the bat a Non Sequitur and false dichotomy with faulty logic from Caspar the master of Slick Maneuvers.  Solitary

Round 1: C Zero, S One.

Shol'va

I have also noted other issues but for now I'm going to leave it to Mr Obvious to address.
I did bring that issue to the attention because it is a fundamental one, not to mention pretty serious.

stromboli

I've seen a few philosophical debates, and I've never seen one where anyone admitted losing or changed their position. This won't be any different.

Casparov

Quote from: Shol'va on April 25, 2014, 03:52:12 PM
I have also noted other issues but for now I'm going to leave it to Mr Obvious to address.
I did bring that issue to the attention because it is a fundamental one, not to mention pretty serious.

Just to clarify: It is still Mr. Obvious's turn and I am to address your concerns when it's my turn again. Is this correct?

Shol'va

I do not wish to risk either derailing the discussion or making it seem like I am overbearing, so if you feel that can be addressed perhaps as a side-note within the same response to Mr Obvious, that would be OK. As long as you gents are on the same page we are OK, I want to make sure you don't talk past each other based on a fundamental misunderstanding of terms.