Author Topic: Present Evidence Here II  (Read 102859 times)

Offline Baruch

Re: Present Evidence Here II
« Reply #705 on: August 28, 2019, 03:46:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it was about 1/4 to 1/3 the way through...

You made me temporarily suspend the Brandenberg Concertos, monster!

So … in the presentation, a narrator description of Kant's POV on religion vs ethics.  And that we can replace the Golden Rule with a secular version, the Categorical Imperative.  Whose best description is that people aren't means, but ends in themselves.  I see no problem with this.  The Categorical Imperative stands against totalitarianism.  But then Kant goes onto say, liberty is about humans only doing what is best, not what they want.  That is neo-Liberalism.  Not OK.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #706 on: August 28, 2019, 04:06:22 AM »
You made me temporarily suspend the Brandenberg Concertos, monster!

So … in the presentation, a narrator description of Kant's POV on religion vs ethics.  And that we can replace the Golden Rule with a secular version, the Categorical Imperative.  Whose best description is that people aren't means, but ends in themselves.  I see no problem with this.  The Categorical Imperative stands against totalitarianism.  But then Kant goes onto say, liberty is about humans only doing what is best, not what they want.  That is neo-Liberalism.  Not OK.

Might explain why I am a Progressive and secular.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #707 on: August 28, 2019, 04:10:57 AM »
Might explain why I am a Progressive and secular.

The video wasn't pushing religion, and neither was Kant.  So you were just tiggered.  Did Roy Rodgers use to ride you?
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #708 on: August 28, 2019, 04:23:03 AM »

The video wasn't pushing religion, and neither was Kant.  So you were just tiggered.  Did Roy Rodgers use to ride you?

Partly, it was the refutation of religion as the basis of ethics.  But when I took the survey that suggested I was Kantish, I didn't know that.

Had you typed "triggerred" the Roy Rodgers thing would have made more sense.  On the other hand "tiggered" is more catish in a Pooh sense.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #709 on: August 29, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
Haha …. at least you aren't a Snowflake ;-)

« Reply #710 on: August 29, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »
No 2 snowflakes are alike, so anyone could be a snowflake.

:-P
"An experiment is a question which science poses to Nature, and a measurement is the recording of Nature's answer."
Max Planck, Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers (1949)

« Reply #711 on: August 30, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
Do animals get their morality from God? Of course not, and neither do humans.

"An experiment is a question which science poses to Nature, and a measurement is the recording of Nature's answer."
Max Planck, Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers (1949)

Offline Baruch

« Reply #712 on: August 30, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
Neither.  There is no morality.  Virtue signaling humans projecting onto other species.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #713 on: August 31, 2019, 02:25:17 AM »
Neither.  There is no morality.  Virtue signaling humans projecting onto other species.

There is indeed no "morality".  Morality is a set of religious rules created by humans and assigned to non-human reasons.  There are human ethics though.  We created them too and they apply to us better.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #714 on: August 31, 2019, 09:55:58 AM »
There is indeed no "morality".  Morality is a set of religious rules created by humans and assigned to non-human reasons.  There are human ethics though.  We created them too and they apply to us better.

Correct.  We don't have morality or ethics.  We do have laws.  As established by political process.  Not that is wonderful, because … politicians.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #715 on: August 31, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
Correct.  We don't have morality or ethics.  We do have laws.  As established by political process.  Not that is wonderful, because … politicians.

The slipperiest way to make an argument is to not "quite" finish the last sentence, as you did.  One could almost suggest...

Offline Baruch

« Reply #716 on: August 31, 2019, 04:21:02 PM »
Exactly ...

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #717 on: August 31, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
Exactly ...

One might almost think...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk