News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Present Evidence Here II

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, February 14, 2013, 05:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 14, 2017, 01:40:44 PM
Unfortunately I don't think that word "mythology" means what you think it means.  If you understood Campbell, you would be singing a different song.
Really?  It doesn't mean what I think it means?  Oh, then, please tell me.  And what song would I sing?  "It Takes a Worried Man?"  Or "Don't Worry, Be Happy?"  Or what?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2017, 03:16:15 PM
Really?  It doesn't mean what I think it means?  Oh, then, please tell me.  And what song would I sing?  "It Takes a Worried Man?"  Or "Don't Worry, Be Happy?"  Or what?

But songs are just metaphors, and some are silly love songs ... silly love songs ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 14, 2017, 03:18:57 PM
But songs are just metaphors, and some are silly love songs ... silly love songs ...
Isn't just about everything a metaphor if you want it to be?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2017, 10:08:18 PM
Isn't just about everything a metaphor if you want it to be?

I guess you are the anti-metaphor ... you don't want anything to be a metaphor then?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 14, 2017, 01:40:44 PM
Unfortunately I don't think that word "mythology" means what you think it means.  If you understood Campbell, you would be singing a different song.

I doubt it.  Everytime I listen to Campbell, I decide he is a fixated bloviating fool.  He's like those people who are convinced that all atheists are secretly theists, that Atlantis exists.  On Mars maybe. 

Yes, he thinks myths are real.  But some people think Bigfoot is real. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 15, 2017, 02:51:23 AM
I doubt it.  Everytime I listen to Campbell, I decide he is a fixated bloviating fool.  He's like those people who are convinced that all atheists are secretly theists, that Atlantis exists.  On Mars maybe. 

Yes, he thinks myths are real.  But some people think Bigfoot is real.
From my reading of Campbell he knows myths are not real--he studies the function of myths within various societies and times.  What caught my eye--and mind--was when he suggests that the purpose of life is life.  I agree with that.  My purpose is to live and whatever that purpose looks like is what my purpose is.  And he suggested that we will live life more fully if one finds and follows their bliss.  Sounds easy--but not really, at least not for all.  He means find what gives you a purpose, what you love to do, what makes getting up in the morning fun and exciting.  My bliss is like my purpose--it is whatever get me going and it has nothing to do with anybody else. 

Baruch

But bliss includes fitting into your time, your place, your people.  Misfits don't have that.  We can only have partial bliss.  Complete individualists are idiotes (Greek word meaning individualist aka fool) and sociopaths.  Unabomber types.  I have alienation, but it isn't because Marx was right.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Campbell makes me laugh everytime I hear him.  A pure case of education and talent making no sense at all.  It happens.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 02:01:33 AM
Campbell makes me laugh everytime I hear him.  A pure case of education and talent making no sense at all.  It happens.

Where Campbell was biased, was against America and against Abrahamic religion.  He loved primitive and Native American mythology (which aren't bad things).  He was a self hating Gentile.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 15, 2017, 04:26:28 PM
Here's an interesting article about mythology and how myths change with time:

Scientists Trace Society’s Myths to Primordial Origins: Analyzing how stories change in the retelling down through the generations sheds light on the history of human migration going as far back as the Paleolithic period

That and other myths show how bad people were to each other in the past.  The less mythology we have, the freer we are to consider equlaity and appreciate the values that all contribute to society.

Mythology represents the past (and most oftentimes the worst of it).  I would rather live in the present and have hopes for improvement in the future.   

Baruch

Have hope?  Good for you.  Don't want to be mean to other people, or to yourself?  Good for you.

But please, the idea that modern man is any less savage to each other .. compared to past ages ... is ... wrong.  On that basis, many people would not have hope, or feel that it is necessary to become more savage, to keep up with the Capital One credit card using neighbors.

The US is a myth.  Hate myths?  Look in mirror.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on February 17, 2017, 06:23:31 AM
I would rather live in the present and have hopes for improvement in the future.   

Quote from: A.A. AttanasioAbandon hope, and in its absence you will be closer to the truth.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman