News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How about worshipping Spinoza’s god?

Started by Primal, October 22, 2023, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 16, 2024, 08:30:37 PMIt seems most Christians, at least, are also clueless as to the history of their religion. Hardly any have read the Bible from cover to cover, they only know any of it at all from the preaching on Sunday.
However, even when Christians don't know much about their religion; they often insist they do. The preacher cherry-picks the best stuff and then interprets it their own way so, yeah that'll explain it. The history of the xtian church is barbarism. How many Catholics know the church dug up a dead pope (Pope Formosus) and put him on try with a proxy behind his chair answering for him, LOL. Yeah, the rotting, stinking, dead guy lost his case so they violated his corpse, buried him, dug him up a second time and finally threw him in a river.

SGOS

If you need a god, but can't prove there is one, Spinoza's god is the last stop on the way out the door. Although, the last time I looked up the definition of "god" it said, "That which is deified," so a doorknob might come after the Universe. Sometimes dictionaries, just don't seem that useful.

SGOS

People in my AA group years ago insisted we must have a higher power to get sober, which of course they call God, but if you don't agree to that, they always added that you can make your higher power whatever you want, even if it's just a doorknob, which is why I used that example in the last post. The point is that if you are on a quest to know the unknowable, training wheels of some sort are a good place to get you started. They only thing wrong with that as I learned in my first computer programing class was that if you put garbage in, you get garbage out.

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on February 24, 2024, 08:46:29 AMPeople in my AA group years ago insisted we must have a higher power to get sober, which of course they call God, but if you don't agree to that, they always added that you can make your higher power whatever you want, even if it's just a doorknob, which is why I used that example in the last post. The point is that if you are on a quest to know the unknowable, training wheels of some sort are a good place to get you started. They only thing wrong with that as I learned in my first computer programing class was that if you put garbage in, you get garbage out.
Well, the good lord did appeal to E. Scrooge by way of a doorknocker.

Unbeliever

The only "higher power" I have is the US Constitution.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman