Main Menu

Way to go, Florida!

Started by Valigarmander, April 15, 2014, 04:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

AllPurposeAtheist

Study commissioned by the NRA...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on April 15, 2014, 04:47:35 PM
Yeah, its like upside down or something.

Yep, it is upside down. Here's what it really looks like:

AllPurposeAtheist

Easy to fudge stats especially when you want to promote a particular agenda. Florida clearly has a dubious agenda. Also consider nationally crime rates have been plumetting since the 90s. It's like saying,  SEE? IT SNOWED, PROOF CLIMATE CHANGE IS A HOAX,

aitm

Well the sub title kind of weans it to a different direction, associating stand your ground with murder is an incorrect marriage. Since stand your ground would in effect NOT be murder, they must have fudgered the stats a mite eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2014, 05:35:28 PM
Well the sub title kind of weans it to a different direction, associating stand your ground with murder is an incorrect marriage. Since stand your ground would in effect NOT be murder, they must have fudgered the stats a mite eh?
Imagine how much lower the murder rate would be if there was a war in Florida.

josephpalazzo

People, the graph clearly indicates that after the stand-your-ground law was passed the crime rate went UP, not down.

aitm

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 15, 2014, 06:37:58 PM
People, the graph clearly indicates that after the stand-your-ground law was passed the crime rate went UP, not down.
Oh I agree, but does it go up because of the law, or did it go up because they added deaths from stand your ground to "murder". Though I can't see that few cases of stand your ground being that much of an impact.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

The Skeletal Atheist

Look at the way the numbers go. The graph is correct, just horribly put together.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

josephpalazzo

Quote from: aitm on April 15, 2014, 06:43:26 PM
Oh I agree, but does it go up because of the law, or did it go up because they added deaths from stand your ground to "murder". Though I can't see that few cases of stand your ground being that much of an impact.

I would guess that the number of murders on the graph would include those that were done under the stand-your-ground claim. Is there a correlation between that law and the rise in the crime rate? From the data, you can't make that conclusion. But you can't rule it out, either.

Shiranu

I think it is at least safe to assume that it hasn't done any significant good...

Did they really post that original graph? Wow.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason Harvestdancer

As near as I can tell by the graph, it is only gun deaths.  It doesn't differentiate between offensive and defensive gun uses.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Feral Atheist

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 15, 2014, 06:37:58 PM
No it doesn't;

Took a couple of years but the bad guys, figure it out that attacking someone could get their ass shot.
In dog beers I've only had one.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Feral Atheist on April 16, 2014, 01:32:23 AM
No it doesn't;

Took a couple of years but the bad guys, figure it out that attacking someone could get their ass shot.

You're comparing apples with oranges: the OP has MURDERS COMMITTED BY GUNS. You have VIOLENT CRIMES.