US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy

Started by josephpalazzo, April 15, 2014, 07:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I think the founding fathers were headed in the right direction, although even at the time, democracy was not something new.  It existed before the USA.  Still the fathers represented the wealthy, and the system they came up with allows the wealthy to keep a grip on control.  Once a system of government is set in place, perhaps any system of government, those with power and wealth will find a way to turn it to advantage.  The result is the inevitable corruption and decay.

We don't live under the rule of kings and monarchs, but it seems like in our present society, that category of people are just carrying on without the titles.  And yes it's better for those of peasant stock, but relatively speaking the greater power remains in the hands of a few.

Nitishajack

Countries that describe themselves as democratic republics generally aren't very good at either.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Nitishajack on April 19, 2014, 01:54:48 AM
Countries that describe themselves as democratic republics generally aren't very good at either.

Can I steal this?

AllPurposeAtheist

Some real interesting stuff on oligarchy today. Bill Moyers and Paul Krugman, etc. One book I really want to check out is Thomas Piketty's Capital in the Twenty-First Century.
check out http://www.billmoyers.com. Anyone who actually believes all Texans are right wing ideologs don't know much about Moyers.

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GSOgymrat

Is society better with average Americans making policy decisions or wealthy Americans making policy decisions?

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 20, 2014, 01:31:14 PM
Is society better with average Americans make policy decisions or wealthy Americans making policy decisions?
Ideally, we're supposed to have educated, capable representatives make policy decisions, as a sort of middle way between mob rule and oligarchy.  This has not worked out very well.

AllPurposeAtheist

Is society better with average Americans make policy decisions or wealthy Americans making policy decisions?
Question to question, How many wealthy policy makers take into account people who can't afford to buy their votes in congress? Answer, Not enough.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

My older rich son and rich girlfriend, as well as my wife and I don't care! We are going here in June:  Eat your heart out!  :razz: He! He! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

jannugimes

Immigration is being used to undermine all American citizens political power. Congress has gathered so much power that it no longer cares about what the American people want.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2014, 02:11:51 PM
Ideally, we're supposed to have educated, capable representatives make policy decisions, as a sort of middle way between mob rule and oligarchy.  This has not worked out very well.

One way is to undermine the educational system - deny evolution, deny climate change, make sure they watch Fox News, invade the radio waves with right-wing rhetoric, etc.

Solitary

Dumbing down America seems to work, unfortunately, for most Americans.  :wall:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jmpty

Quote from: jannugimes on May 01, 2014, 05:31:25 PM
Immigration is being used to undermine all American citizens political power. Congress has gathered so much power that it no longer cares about what the American people want.

Ummmmm.....what?
???  ??

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: jannugimes on May 01, 2014, 05:31:25 PM
Ok the part meh, I can take it or leave it. But the first part has me scratching my head. Are you suggesting that the reason millions have illegally immigrated just as part of some nefarious plot? Expand upon your point man. I always figured the reason they immigrated because of things like better economics, easily available jobs that most Americans won't do for shit pay, escaping from the violence of cartels fueled by the war on drugs, etc. But now it's a nefarious plot?

Is it the Jews again? Or is it communists? The gays? Is it GAY JEWISH COMMUNISTS? I'm fucking scared man, you gotta tell me what's up.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

josephpalazzo

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on May 03, 2014, 03:33:30 AM

Is it GAY JEWISH COMMUNISTS? I'm fucking scared man, you gotta tell me what's up.

You fucked it up. Don't you know by now it's THE GAY MUSLIM  KENYAN-BORN COMMUNIST sitting the oval office?!!??

Berati

Is society better with average Americans making policy decisions or wealthy Americans making policy decisions?
Democracy has out produced every other form of govt including plutocracy... so I have to go with the average american.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."