Chris Christie in more hot water?

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, April 14, 2014, 10:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Why would anyone go out of their way to denounce the mafia? I mean I don't like child molesters but I don't go around asking people if they're aware that I do not like child molesters.

As for people who are connected, yeah they exist. I don't like that they exist nor do I like the things they do but there is nothing I'm ever going to do that will stop them from existing or change the things they do. Same with hurricanes. I don't like that they exist or the things they do but there is nothing I'm ever going to do to stop them from existing or change the things they do. So should I denounce hurricanes now too?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mermaid

besides, where else can you inwardly chuckle when you see a guy with white patent leather slip on shoes and Paule Walnuts hair?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Meh..who cares who knows or is a distant cousin to some low life criminal? Most people I've known from Jersey and NY merely brag because it's what people do. People in Ohio do the same thing.  I've done it so big deal. The vast majority of people who might know someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows someone is about as useful as knowing a toothpick salesman when their parachute doesn't open when jumping out of an airplane.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

NJ is so much more than the Newark area. It has stunning farmland, wilderness (The Appalachian Trail runs through it), the Delaware Water Gap, the Pine Barrens and great beaches.
But go ahead and be HATERS, all of you. FINE.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Mermaid on April 19, 2014, 02:37:02 PM
NJ is so much more than the Newark area. It has stunning farmland, wilderness (The Appalachian Trail runs through it), the Delaware Water Gap, the Pine Barrens and great beaches.
But go ahead and be HATERS, all of you. FINE.

Yup yup I second that.

"Aaaand stay out!!!" :lol:

Sent via your mom

AllPurposeAtheist

Don't forget those smokestack gardens! :dance:

PickelledEggs

Ah yes. The smokestack gardens can be quite beautiful if you can get to them at the right time. Here are some on the side of the NJ Turnpike I took a picture of.

Sent via your mom

AllPurposeAtheist

That looks like 90% of Texas at night.

Berati

I met a guy from New Jersey when I was in Jamaica recently. He was a Bridge Cop and a local politician of some sort. A councilmen I think.
Anyway, he went on  at length about how his purpose in politics was to "look out for his own" by which he meant his friends and family. He really felt that that was the just and moral thing to do as a politician. To take care of ones own family and friends.
Is that a typical US attitude?   I'm Canadian and while we have problems with politicians as well, I've never met one who would proudly state that his purpose in office was to get stuff for "his own".

Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Johan

Quote from: Berati on April 19, 2014, 09:00:07 PM

Is that a typical US attitude?   
Yep. The US, and NJ in particular is the ONLY place on the planet with politicians that have questionable ethics. :rolleyes:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Berati

QuoteYep. The US, and NJ in particular is the ONLY place on the planet with politicians that have questionable ethics

You missed the point but maybe I wasn't clear enough. Every place has problems with politicians trying to line their own pockets. Greed has no boundaries.

What I was referring to was a particular problem of using crooked politics to advance ones friends and family and also of seeing it as the morally superior position. i.e "I gota do right by my family"

This was my first meeting with a New Jersey politician and it appeared to me he had the same moral compass as Tony Soprano. So I'll ask again, is that a typical U.S. attitude? Is it specific to N.J.? Or is this guy just a one off and that attitude is not prevalent at all?
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Mermaid

It is neither typical of the US nor NJ.

PickelledEggs

I highly doubt the correlation of christi being from NJ has anything to do with him being crooked as much as him being a politician does

Sent via your mom

AllPurposeAtheist

Politicians almost everywhere have the tendency to be corrupt. I'm from Ohio and we have no shortage of corruption. Hell, when most people think of US politics and corruption a few places come to mind, Chicago, Tammany Hall in NY, Texas, California, Mississippi, Kansas just to name a few.
With the rise of oligarchy the name of the game is about consolidation of wealth and power mainly through inheritance schemes.

jannugimes

I find it funny that Obama has lots of scandals, plays dumb and the press just ignores it.  Chris Christie is in one, admits the mistake, owns up to it and fires the people responsible and it becomes a media firestorm.