Atheists, would you be here if religious people weren't intrusive and/or pushy?

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, April 12, 2014, 02:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Religion came up in my pre-militant life four times after I got out of high school. Each time was when I married a believer (all non-church-going women) and I made a point of telling them I wasn't religious before we got hitched. Otherwise, there was nothing except that "peace symbol" incident.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

I would hope they'd get a life that appreciated the fact that this is all they get. My cousins buy Hummers or F-350s because "God made this planet and he's the only one that can destroy it, so I don't have to worry about global warming."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 12, 2014, 02:47:14 PMSo, would religion matter to you if it didn't intrude into life outside their churches?

I'd be much less inclined to be anti-theist or spend as much time on atheist web sites if the fuckers would just leave their beliefs at the door of the voting booth. Why they can't understand that not everyone believes as they do and the law gives those others the same right to believe whatever the fuck they want, just like it gives that right to them, is so far beyond me I'll likely never understand.

Why is abortion under constant attack? 'Cause gawd sez it's wrong! Why is assisted suicide illegal in every state but Oregon? 'Case gawd sez it's wrong! Why are blow-jobs illegal in 19 states? 'Case gawd sez it's wrong! For fuck sake, not everyone believes in that (or any) gawd!** Hey assholes, leave that shit at the voting booth door and vote for more personal freedoms instead of state regulated inquisitions and the world would be a vastly better place.

**I did once convince my mom (die-hard buy-bull thumper 'til the day she died) to vote for assisted suicide. She started banging on about how gawd sez this an' gawd sez that so I simply stated "But I don't believe in your gawd. Why should I be bound by your beliefs in a country founded on the principle of freedom of religion?" It left her speechless to realize that making a law based on a religious belief was wrong. So, of course, she "prayed on it" and wouldn't you know that gawd told her exactly what she wanted to hear.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Aupmanyav

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 12, 2014, 02:47:14 PMSo, would religion matter to you if it didn't intrude into life outside their churches?
You see, whether there are theists or not, the quest for truth remains. That is independent of theists. I would still be here to discuss what new things science has to offer.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

SGOS

Quote from: Aupmanyav on April 14, 2014, 11:40:06 PM
You see, whether there are theists or not, the quest for truth remains. That is independent of theists. I would still be here to discuss what new things science has to offer.
I was thinking the other day that even in the bronze age, there were probably people who thought the superstition of the religion about them was nonsense.  I usually think that the ancients were all about superstition, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were divided in along similar lines as today.   Understanding the environment, without mythical explanations is always going to be satisfying to some people, and whether we have an abundance of superstition or not, that need probably always exists to a degree.