News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

question? about religious holidays.

Started by doorknob, April 12, 2014, 08:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob

If every one became an atheist would you still observe the holidays?  just like an old traditional thing? As for me I still celebrate christmas because as a holiday I like gift giving and I also love the decorations.

PickelledEggs

It depends on what you mean by "the holidays" and by if "everyone became an atheist"

I assume that you meant everyone on earth and the religious holidays like christmas and easter and I think to an extent yeah. People in general like to have a good time and holidays are a good excuse for large groups of people and populations of people to have a good time together. In fact, christmas time is still my favorite time of year.

If everyone on earth eventually became atheist, I'm sure people will still observe and celebrate holidays.

doorknob

Sorry I guess that was kind of confusing. But yes that's what I meant.

AllPurposeAtheist

We'd just rename them.. Holiday A, holiday B, holiday C, etc.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on April 12, 2014, 11:52:33 PM
Not Tooth Fairy Day?  :axe: :pirate: :razz: Solitary
That would be your annual checkup and some pretty big titted dental hygienist poking sharp metal into your gums.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Every religious holiday- for the Western world, Christian- has in fact been grafted onto other holidays or observances.

Christmas is the Winter Solstice

Easter the Spring Equinox

Halloween is based on the Druid Vigil of Samhain, in remembrance of the dead. Also harvest celebration.

Christmas can be also celebrated as Saturnalia (Read: Toga! Toga! Toga!) or as a pagan winter solstice. Most of the traditions of Christmas, the tree, Mistletoe, Wassail, caroling, etc. are descended from Nordic Solstice celebrations.

Christmas in the modern sense didn't appear until about the 17th century.

Celebrate them any way you want.

Jason78

Quote from: doorknob on April 12, 2014, 08:37:03 PM
If every one became an atheist would you still observe the holidays?

I like to think that if everyone became an atheist that we'd have even more holidays!

Also your avatar is creepy and disturbing.   Well done! :)
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

St Giordano Bruno

I just avoid the Christmas carols just cannot stomach them, but I still like turkey and ham and many of those secular trappings.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

stromboli

Quote from: Jason78 on April 13, 2014, 04:05:54 AM
I like to think that if everyone became an atheist that we'd have even more holidays!

Also your avatar is creepy and disturbing.   Well done! :)

Hey, wait! That Avatar is NOT creepy and disturbing! It's, ah.... You're right. Creepy and disturbing. I like it.

Mermaid

We don't really participate in holidays (including Christmas) anyway. I get presents for and from one friend who is Christian. I think if a switch were flipped and suddenly everyone in the world became atheist, Christmas and Easter in the USA would persist since they are so much part of our culture and also a big part of our economy.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

If you got rid of religion the holidays would persist, with more nudity.

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

doorknob

Thanks my avatar wasn't meant to be creepy or disturbing though. Ball jointed dolls happens to be my hobby. Creepy and disturbing or not thanks for liking it. I suppose I'll roll with that.

Jason78

I find it creepy because it looks almost, but not quite, human.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato