News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Ryan budget

Started by josephpalazzo, April 11, 2014, 10:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

The House voted 219-205 in favor of the Paul Ryan budget:

- It would provide $5 trillion in tax breaks over 10 years for the wealthy and those corporation which actually pay any federal income taxes.
- It would provide an average tax break of at least $200,000 a year to millionaires.
- It  would end Medicare as we know it by giving seniors an inadequate coupon to purchase health insurance that many of them will not be able to afford.
- At least 40 million Americans would lose their health insurance over a 10-year period by cutting Medicaid by more than $1.5 trillion.
-  It would kick at least 3.8 million Americans off of Food Stamps by cutting this program by more than $125 billion.
- It would slash college Pell grants by $125 billion over the next decade.
- It would increase spending at the Pentagon by nearly $500 billion.

The Republicans plan on taking the senate coming this fall. Wouldn't that be dandy?!?!!

stromboli

And there is a very real possibility that Republicans will gain control of both houses. Goodbye Democracy.

Hydra009

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 11, 2014, 10:04:47 AM- At least 40 million Americans would lose their health insurance over a 10-year period by cutting Medicaid by more than $1.5 trillion.
-  It would kick at least 3.8 million Americans off of Food Stamps by cutting this program by more than $125 billion.
Thanks, Obama!

And I don't mean that facetiously.  That is literally what people Republicans will be saying in the campaign for the Presidency.

As for Republicans regaining control of Congress, that was pretty much already decided by the Supreme Court ruling on unlimited political donations.

josephpalazzo

With now no limit on campaign financing, the Republicans can certainly take it. If that takes place, then we'll see Congress passing bills after bills, with Obama vetoeing them. That's going to be a lot of fun... :oak:

SGOS

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 11, 2014, 10:04:47 AM
The House voted 219-205 in favor of the Paul Ryan budget:

- It would provide $5 trillion in tax breaks over 10 years for the wealthy and those corporation which actually pay any federal income taxes.
- It would provide an average tax break of at least $200,000 a year to millionaires.
- It  would end Medicare as we know it by giving seniors an inadequate coupon to purchase health insurance that many of them will not be able to afford.
- At least 40 million Americans would lose their health insurance over a 10-year period by cutting Medicaid by more than $1.5 trillion.
- It would increase spending at the Pentagon by nearly $500 billion.

The Republicans plan on taking the senate coming this fall. Wouldn't that be dandy?!?!!

Oddly, if you are middle income person, I would not expect your taxes to go down.  Budgets by either party are about reallocation of funds.  Tax cuts are more like talking points.  For most people, a tax cut when and if it happens, are equal to a dinner out at a nice restaurant.

stromboli

Solitary

:borg: GOP-P+D=God. We will be saved!  :pray: To resist is futile! We are going in the wrong direction if we go with the Republicans, just like with Bush and his cronies. We need a Working Party to vote for. The working men and woman, retired people, and the poor of this country are doomed even more if the Republicans control our country again. "If our tempers don't sustain justice there will never be justice!"  :fU: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 11, 2014, 10:04:47 AM

Do I actually have to have the million dollars or can I just say I've got a million so I can get the tax break?

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

It's not a foregone conclusion rubes will take the senate or even keep the house because for all the money republicans are still hated. They outspent Sharrod Brown in Ohio 10:1. He ain't going anywhere.
Don't just give up and decide to not vote and if you have the time or energy try to get others to get out yo vote because the truth is if we vote we win.
Remind anyone you know who is still uninsured living in a red state that it's REPUBLICANS fault.
Oh hell, remind them of this:
QuoteActually they want to turn Medicare into Obamacare 

Think about it.

While the Democrats want Medicare for all or at minimum a public option, the Ryan budget calls for a government subsidized privatized insurance exchange to replace Medicare.

In other words:

REPUBLICANS VOTE TO CONVERT MEDICARE INTO OBAMACARE!

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

This is why it's very important to vote this midterm. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the presidential election, but any progress we is at risk of being gutted by the republicans. If they get a majority hold of power they'll be looking for vengeance. We're at a critical point towards either getting things somewhat right for once or having another good ol' boy republic.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on April 11, 2014, 04:24:29 PM
This is why it's very important to vote this midterm. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the presidential election, but any progress we is at risk of being gutted by the republicans. If they get a majority hold of power they'll be looking for vengeance. We're at a critical point towards either getting things somewhat right for once or having another good ol' boy republic.
We have the numbers on our side. People need to get out the vote to be sure.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Alaric I

I find this funny.  A bunch if people arguing about which asshole is bigger.  It doesn't matter when they're all full if shit.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on April 11, 2014, 04:24:29 PM
Ha, the Republicans are counting that you won't be voting. The latest in voting suppression is in South Florida, where standing in those long lines (only in predominant minority districts), you can't hold your spot in that line if you want to go to the restroom.

New Rule Prohibits Voters In Miami-Dade County From Using The Restroom, No Matter How Long The Line

Solitary

Quote from: Alaric I on April 12, 2014, 04:28:21 AM
I find this funny.  A bunch if people arguing about which asshole is bigger.  It doesn't matter when they're all full if shit.
I agree, but there are liars for the working men and woman and ones that lie to them and support big money and even come out and brag about it. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Alaric I

Quote from: Solitary on April 12, 2014, 11:15:41 AM
  I agree, but there are liars for the working men and woman and ones that lie to them and support big money and even come out and brag about it. Solitary

True, which just tells us we need to really put a boot to the system and say fuck both.  Vote for a third party and watch the big two squirm as they lose all their seats.