News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I Believe God Exists

Started by Casparov, April 10, 2014, 01:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

QuoteGasparov said: You die in that sense every single night during dreamless sleep.
^^^^^^^^^^

Need no more evidence of trolling.

leo

Quote from: josephpalazzo on April 25, 2014, 12:10:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

Need no more evidence of trolling.
.                                                                                                                                                    I bet he is having fun too. He is funny.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Solitary

I want to know how one that is just conscious can think without a material brain or body. I think, therefore I am. Who's doing the thinking? This is circular reasoning. Strange that one of the greatest thinkers could fall into that trap, but he was religious. Shouldn't it be I am physically (real), therefore I have a brain and think, and think I am (an illusion) because I am conscious (real). Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Berati

Quote from: Solitary on April 25, 2014, 01:23:51 PM
I want to know how one that is just conscious can think without a material brain or body. I think, therefore I am. Who's doing the thinking? This is circular reasoning. Strange that one of the greatest thinkers could fall into that trap, but he was religious. Shouldn't it be I am physically (real), therefore I have a brain and think, and think I am (an illusion) because I am conscious (real). Solitary
Descartes never intended for "I think therefore I am" to mean "I think therefore thought is all that there is"
It was a starting point, not an end point as ghost for brains would have you believe.
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Mister Agenda

Quote from: Casparov on April 25, 2014, 11:59:35 AM
You die in that sense every single night during dreamless sleep.

That must be why it's impossible to rouse someone who is asleep and not dreaming, they're completely unconscio...oh, wait, they're not.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Solitary

The body (material) is still aware even if an unconscious emerging (illusionary) being isn't. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solomon Zorn

I was a teenage atheist, who after becoming a Christian, at age 17, postulated to my atheist father that the vast amount of space in an atom was evidence that the universe was actually an infinitely regressing pattern in the mind of God. That the laws of nature are His perfect thought processes in orderly fashion and that what he dreams becomes real because of His faith. He didn't buy it, of course. I'm 48 now, and I've since outgrown the idea.

Conscious beings will never fully explain consciousness to their own satisfaction. It is a unique property of the complex particle we call a human.

I think, Casparov, that your most recent reply to Mr. Agenda, was inadequate. He makes an excellent point about our ability to experience the cessation of consciousness, through sedation. It goes a long way toward proving that consciousness is dependent on the material brain.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com