Quote from: Casparov on April 10, 2014, 01:55:44 AM
I believe God exists.

Which one?  There's like 4000 of them.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

stromboli

So you want to debate the existence of something no one can prove exists? Yeah, that's got a future.

We are atheists. We don't believe in god because there is no evidence.

You believe in god despite the lack of evidence.

Yeah, we can debate the shit out of that.

Mister Agenda

If you're here to polish your arguments, we can help with that. But I've been listening to them for years, and concluded that the closest you can get to evidence is for you to be such an obviously good person that people wonder how you got to be so righteous. That's hard to project over the internet, and skeptics are hard to persuade that 'exceptionally good' = 'relationship with the divine'. It's very persuasive to the average person, though. I think one of the main reasons the churches are losing their young people is that ethics has moved on to toleration and equal rights for gays and religious minorities. To a LOT of young people, many churches seem immorally intolerant, and who wants to go to church to be less moral?
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Casparov on April 10, 2014, 01:55:44 AM
Sooo....

I believe God exists. And I'm willing to debate with people who don't agree with me. And so here I am. Hi. :flowers:
What's a god?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

Welcome aboard Casparov! There are not always two sides to a belief or debate. This subject is not debatable anymore than evolution and Creationism is. Belief in God is based on magical thinking and faith. Atheism is based on no evidence, and evidence that an all powerful loving God that can send you to hell unless you placate Him and has a history of being a psychopath is a contradiction in terms and not logical. Also there is no need for a God to explain anything when there is empirical evidence that does.  :popcorn: Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

You can't proof you crazy ass god exists. I can however, prove superman exists, there's books and even videos of the bad ass mother fucker hiss-self.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Casparov on April 10, 2014, 03:00:35 AM
1) I'm sure you have.
Depending on what miraculous wisdom you eventually decide to share with us unbelievers, it's either something I've encountered dozens or hundreds of times before.  Let's just say that if it's not an argument from ignorance, appeal to tradition, non-sequitur, circular logic, false dilemma, assuming what you're trying to prove, or anecdotal evidence, then I will not only be surprised but impressed.  (I'm very easily impressed)

So go ahead.  Impress me.

SGOS

Has anyone here taken into consideration that the Universe had to have a designer as its first cause?  How else can you explain it?  Betcha none of you have ever thought about that one before!

I just thought I'd get the ball rolling since we are already on page two and nothing has happened.

leo

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2014, 01:17:12 PM
Has anyone here taken into consideration that the Universe had to have a designer as it's first cause?  How else can you explain it?  Betcha none of you have ever thought about that one before!

I just thought I'd get the ball rolling since we are already on page two and nothing has happened.
Yeah but what caused the first cause?
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

SGOS

Quote from: leo on April 10, 2014, 01:19:22 PM
Hmmm??  Well that is somewhat problematic.  Maybe I should have started with a better question.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: leo on April 10, 2014, 01:19:22 PM

Fool, Chuck Norris did, what else could have?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 10, 2014, 01:17:12 PM
Has anyone here taken into consideration that the Universe had to have a designer as its first cause?  How else can you explain it?  Betcha none of you have ever thought about that one before!

Do landslides have a "creator"?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

leo

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 10, 2014, 01:40:36 PM
Fool, Chuck Norris did, what else could have?
YEP. Nothing  is more powerful than the Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Casparov

Quote from: aileron on April 10, 2014, 03:17:18 AM
What god?  Does your god have a name, a gender?  Is his name YHWH?  Does this god have a personality?  If so is he a unitary or triune person?  What are the attributes of this god?  What are your rules of evidence for this debate?

QuoteBefore you can expect any reasonable argument, you must first define your proposition.
You must define it's quality's and such. You would be amazed in how many different ways people define God.
So please do that and then you can explain why you think it exists why you think it has the attributes you think it has.

QuoteWhat's a 'god'?

QuoteFirst things first though: define (or at least identify) what you mean by God.

QuoteWhich god?

QuoteWhich one?  There's like 4000 of them.

QuoteWhat's a god?

god noun \gad also god\
                   :     The supreme or ultimate reality  :  The ground of all being  :  Infinite Mind.

The only name "my" (I hesitate to refer to god as if god is my personal possession but it will make communication easier so I'll just go with it) "god" has is whatever word we can all agree to use to refer to it. I prefer the word God.

A gender is obviously a ridiculous proposition. Any personality would only be a reflection of human projections onto that which is other than human.
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein