Favorite Greek Philosophy or Philosopher

Started by Contemporary Protestant, April 08, 2014, 06:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

Personally I like Aristotle, I also like cynicism 

What about you?

Shiranu

I am quite fond of stoicism... Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca (the last two aren't Greek,  but contRibuted greatly to the philosophy)... all great imo.

Also a big fan of ethical hedonism, would say it would be my ideal life style.  Unfortunately I wasn't born into a culture that allows it and have years of brainwashing keeping me from allowing myself to practice it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Contemporary Protestant

Familiar with stoicism and ethical hedonism, not the others, I will look them up

DunkleSeele

None. Philosophers are a bunch of tossers.

Youssuf Ramadan

I read about Aristotle a couple of years back.  A seriously interesting dude.....  :smile:

PJS

Quote from: Shiranu on April 09, 2014, 06:31:49 AM
I am quite fond of stoicism... Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca (the last two aren't Greek,  but contRibuted greatly to the philosophy)... all great imo.

These are my three favorites as well. Philosophos sparked my interest in Stoicism and Neo Stoicism back when he was posting.
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

Contemporary Protestant

Why do you guys like stoicism? I like Aristotle because of his descriptions of morality, that any individual who is benevolent in thought and action is a good person, and people who are malicious in thought and action are bad. I read that in a book discussing elements in comedy shows like the Simpsons.

PJS

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on April 09, 2014, 07:10:13 PM
Why do you guys like stoicism? I like Aristotle because of his descriptions of morality, that any individual who is benevolent in thought and action is a good person, and people who are malicious in thought and action are bad. I read that in a book discussing elements in comedy shows like the Simpsons.

The Stoics gave much practical advice for achieving a measure of tranquility in this difficult world. Contrary to popular opinion, they were not opposed to experiencing positive emotions, but wrote much about methods of avoiding strong negative ones. The recognition of much beyond our control, the aim of tranquility, and the gratitude that can manifest are all attractive qulaities of Stoicism. William B. Irvine is the modern Stoic who I would recommend as an author.
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

Contemporary Protestant

Thanks, Im going to revisit Stoics because I thought they believed in no emotions at all, thanks for clarifying

Brian37

Plato was my favorite until I read Dawkins preface to "The Greatest Show On Earth". Plato had a very simplistic view of the idea of "questioning". He stupidly thought if you simply thought about something long enough you could find it's "essence". Plato had no clue back then how important control groups and peer review were. Dawkins places blame on Plato for all the bad thought humanity picked up on afterwards. Lead to a lot of utopian political and religious thinking.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Contemporary Protestant

Well I think Plato could be used to understand one's own feelings or thoughts, but I agree not talking to people who disagree with you, produces no results

In Church its called Sectarianism, when someone hides from the secular world, and its discouraged
(not interested in debate, thats just an example from my life experience)

benno

You might like to get into these old Greek dudes if you want to talk about any modern philosophies... or pretend to think much...

johnson

Contemporary Protestant

What do you mean Benno? "pretend to think", someone might take that offensively, I'm not mad, I just don't know what your deal is

benno

No nothing personal at all... just that the greeks set the pattern for all philosophy. The rest is the same themes recycled.