what's actually behind the gun lobby motivation

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, April 06, 2014, 12:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Besides gun sales. What pretext did the Soviets use in eastern Europe to put down rebellion? They encouraged rebellion after Stalins death so once Hungary began shooting back it was the perfect excuse to go in with the Red Army to murder 1000s and to show the people ONLY the state has the power to bring peace and law and order.
The plutocracy knows a bunch of yahoos with AK's and rifles are powerless against a mighty army armed with tanks and modern fighter jets and drones and so on and will not hesitate to level entire cities once open armed rebellion takes place. They plan to be seen as the ONLY alternative to open rebellion and the people stocking up on guns with be either tools of the state to eliminate descendents or be labeled as enemies of the state to be hunted down and either imprisoned or shot on sight.
Your right to vote? Eliminated and replaced with authoritarian regimes all armed. You won't stand a chance.

Ok, I've been reading fiction and base this partially on fiction, but also a bit on tactics used by authoritarian regimes in the past for excuses to use brutal force and claim to be the ones who restored order and the rule of law.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mandingo

Gawdzilla Sama

It's long, it's hard, and if you handle it right something pops out of the end with a BANG.

And then there's the guns...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

You left out the Illuminati. Everybody forgets the Illuminati.

The Skeletal Atheist

Yeah...the Nefarious Gun ManufacturersTM brand of conspiracy seems more probable to me.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Jason Harvestdancer

Uh, sure.  That's got to be their motivation.  Entirely dark and sinister, because nobody could hold a different opinion from you with good intentions.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, I get conspiratorial once in awhile..meh.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on April 06, 2014, 10:10:48 AM
Uh, sure.  That's got to be their motivation.  Entirely dark and sinister, because nobody could hold a different opinion from you with good intentions.
oh yeah, nra has great intentions..

aitm

the gov'ment could succeed only if they disable mass communications first. Once the internet and all the associated particles are closed down its easier. If mom and dad, sis and bro can still have access to lil bro in the military he is not about to go off shooting his fellows. Kill, twitter and face book etc and maybe...just maybe you have a chance.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Look folks,  I'm not saying everyone with a gun is in on some nefarious plot or that big gubnit has any such plan in place, but certain factions might think these kinds of things up. It's damned sure not unheard of and there are historical precedents for similar plans in other nations. This isn't like science fiction. The US government has stired up revolt in other nations only to later install puppet regimes to crush revolt. Just look at the twisted logic of right wings groups and how far fetched their nonsense is.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: aitm on April 06, 2014, 08:31:41 PM
the gov'ment could succeed only if they disable mass communications first. Once the internet and all the associated particles are closed down its easier. If mom and dad, sis and bro can still have access to lil bro in the military he is not about to go off shooting his fellows. Kill, twitter and face book etc and maybe...just maybe you have a chance.
Of course, who owns the Internet backbone?
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

PopeyesPappy

In the US Level 3, CenturyLink, Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T do.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

The Hungarian revolt began as a spontaneous student uprising fueled by Radio Free Europe. Even though it failed, it became a model for later revolts, such as in Eqypt. It was put down brutally because the Soviets were brutal, period. It wasn't provoked any more than any other similar uprising. If anything Radio Free Europe (Read: the U.S.) was the major catalyst. I know this because I read the book.

I don't think we are to the point yet where authoritarian government is in a position to squelch rights to the point of disabling voting and other civil rights. We may be headed that way, I don't know. But having an armed citizenry in most respects only means more people with guns, and it would take a considerable amount of effort to marshal them into any kind of cohesive militia to be like killin' the hippies or some such. And contrariwise if the government chose to instead go up against an armed citizenry in some mass effort, I don't think a nation that still retained some form of Democracy would stand for it.