Elderly "accidentally" backs into crowd (killing 3)

Started by wolf39us, April 02, 2014, 06:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

This story blows my mind.  This elderly woman backs into a crowd at church injuring 7 and killing 3. 

She gets a $1,000 fine and a 1 year suspension.  Best part?  She's a REPEAT offender.

QuoteBRADENTON --
The elderly woman who killed three people when she accidentally backed into a crowd of people leaving a Manatee County church will not be allowed to drive for at least one year.

In court on Wednesday morning, Doreen Landstra, 79, pleaded no contest. She had her driver's license suspended for a year and was fined $1,000 and paid $106 in court fees.
If Landstra wants to renew her license in a year, she will have to go to driving school and meet other Department of Motor Vehicle requirements.

The crash happened Feb. 2 in the Sugar Creek Country Club 55-and-over mobile home community off Belinda Circle and Clubhouse Drive in East Bradenton.

Witnesses said Landstra appeared to think she put her large Chevrolet sport utility vehicle in "drive," but instead she shifted into reverse and backed through the clubhouse parking lot, hitting seven people.

Johanna Dijkhoff, 80, died at the scene. Wilhemina Paul, 70 and Margaret Vanderlaan, 72, were both taken to Blake Medical Center, where they later died.

Troopers said there was no criminal intent in the crash.

However, some are questioning if Landstra should get her license back.

In 2011, the Brandenton Herald reported that Landstra once drove an SUV into the lobby of a McDonald's in Michigan after she hit the gas instead of the brake.

In that case, she was required to retake her driver's exam.

Wilhemina Paul's husband, John, was in the courtroom Wednesday.
“I have no anger against Doreen and I forgive her," he said. "It was an accident. She didn’t mean to do it.”
While he said he forgives Landstra, he doesn’t think she should ever drive again.
“She should have had her license removed immediately and she should have stopped driving years ago," he said. "That’s the reason for the tragedy.”
John Paul said the couple had just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
Landstra and her family refused to comment on camera and only said they were heartbroken over what has happened.

link to story:  http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/bn9/2014/4/2/manatee_woman_who_ba.html

Hijiri Byakuren

My 86-year-old great-grandmother is a better driver than that.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

I saw a similar article yesterday about one of the last surviving Holocaust survivors also running over a bunch of people.  He must have been close to 100 years old.  I think he's losing his license for good, however.

stromboli

Shit happens. I have a 90 year old sister that walked away from a car/train accident. Twice.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 02, 2014, 07:09:57 PM
"Thank God more people weren't killed!"
It's a miracle that Marge, who is a good christian woman and only a few (dozen) yards away wasn't also killed....god blessed her due to her faith.........
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on April 02, 2014, 08:10:39 PM
It's a miracle that Marge, who is a good christian woman and only a few (dozen) yards away wasn't also killed....god blessed her due to her faith.........
No, actually she got run over too.  It was part of God's plan.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 02, 2014, 08:35:08 PM
No, actually she got run over too.  It was part of God's plan.
Fuckin' mysterious ways, ain't they?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shol'va

Am I an asshole for sighing in relief upon finding that the 3 deaths were all elderly people? Don't misunderstand, it's not a statement against the elderly, but rather I'm glad that she didn't kill kids or otherwise people that had their full life ahead of them.

stromboli

Quote from: Shol'va on April 02, 2014, 09:25:48 PM
Am I an asshole for sighing in relief upon finding that the 3 deaths were all elderly people? Don't misunderstand, it's not a statement against the elderly, but rather I'm glad that she didn't kill kids or otherwise people that had their full life ahead of them.
:naughty: