Anderson Cooper Won't Inherit A Dime From Mom's $200 Million Fortune

Started by josephpalazzo, April 01, 2014, 12:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

He's lying. He weeps enraged tears every night and tears at his pillow.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: stromboli on April 01, 2014, 04:21:55 PM
He's lying. He weeps enraged tears every night and tears at his pillow.
That's from his boyfriend/husband going a bit too rough.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

SGOS

Mermaid

I just heard his interview on Howard Stern. He said that figure of his mother's wealth is totally made up.

I really like him, he is a substantial person. Not to mention that he's great to look at. But mostly that he's self-made. His mother, despite being a Vanderbilt, is also apparently responsible for most of her wealth.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

I'm sure his pedigree didn't at all help him when it came to finding a job :P.

I am a fan of his, though. I like that he is doing this.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jack89

I wholeheartedly agree with Cooper.  How can you be worthy of respect if you don't earn your own way? 

Brian37

Jack, "earn your own way", bullshit. If there were a law forcing everyone to have jobs then lots of women would be forced to have jobs. And business owners do not "earn their own way", they profit off the labor of the workers. The self worth anyone should have is the self worth of consent and being comfortable with yourself be the supported or the supporter.  None of us "earn our own way", EVER. The information and education I have in my head is due to the labor and work my teachers gained themselves even before meeting me or teaching me.  Someone built the computer I am typing this on. Someone wrote the software for it. Someone shipped it to a store on roads we didn't physically build ourselves. I could give a shit less if you chose to be supported by another person. We all had help along the way and some people like being supported more than others which makes all gender roles and script thinking all bullshit to me. Being happy is what should matter, not who does what or judging someone for a title or paycheck.
-
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Mermaid

Quote from: Brian37 on April 03, 2014, 11:29:06 AM
If there were a law forcing everyone to have jobs then lots of women would be forced to have jobs.
What does this mean?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jack89

Quote from: Brian37 on April 03, 2014, 11:29:06 AM
Jack, "earn your own way", bullshit. If there were a law forcing everyone to have jobs then lots of women would be forced to have jobs. And business owners do not "earn their own way", they profit off the labor of the workers. The self worth anyone should have is the self worth of consent and being comfortable with yourself be the supported or the supporter.  None of us "earn our own way", EVER. The information and education I have in my head is due to the labor and work my teachers gained themselves even before meeting me or teaching me.  Someone built the computer I am typing this on. Someone wrote the software for it. Someone shipped it to a store on roads we didn't physically build ourselves. I could give a shit less if you chose to be supported by another person. We all had help along the way and some people like being supported more than others which makes all gender roles and script thinking all bullshit to me. Being happy is what should matter, not who does what or judging someone for a title or paycheck.
-
You read into that a bit, didn't you?  Look back a few posts and see why Mermaid likes Cooper.  Same thing.  I respect people who make something of themselves and who can at least earn their own way.  I respect them even more if they give more that they take.  It's a pretty popular sentiment, you might want to consider it. 

If you're a capable individual and live off of other people efforts without contributing, why would I respect you?  I might pity you, and even show some compassion if you fell on hard times, but not respect.

gussy

Anderson Cooper didn't exactly take the easy route into the news business either.  He started out reporting from lovely places like Rwanda, Bosnia, Somalia and Afghanistan on a news station broadcasted to high school kids.  Risking his life for an audience that was completely uninterested.   I would say that he has earned his way in.