News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How to Talk to a Christian

Started by Naberius, March 29, 2014, 12:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

How much time did you spend composing that?

AllPurposeAtheist

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 29, 2014, 01:31:22 PM
But that has been changing.  Centuries ago, this sort of talk would have had the inquisition at our doorsteps and deference to these sorts of beliefs was very much the norm.  Now, criticism of this stuff it is typical and begrudgingly tolerated.  That's progress.  Slow progress, but progress nonetheless.

I agree with Josephpalazzo here.  Adopting a fatalistic stance towards this stuff is not only counterproductive, but factually incorrect.

I should have added: there's a difference between changing a theist's mind, which is almost impossible to do, and making sure our institutions don't fall into their hands. APA has the former in mind, I'm more interested in the latter.

AllPurposeAtheist

Ask a lawyer.. I'm not a lawyer. Better yet, get involved in grassroots political activity.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

RobbyPants

pioteir

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 29, 2014, 02:32:04 PM

Onward, Atheist soldiers, marching as to war,    with the box of spaghetti going on before.    FSM, the royal Master, leads against the foe;    forward into battle see his banners go! Refrain:    Onward, Atheist soldiers, marching as to war,    with the box of spaghrtti going on before.    At the sign of triumph God's host doth flee;    on then, Atheist soldiers, on to victory!    Hell's foundations quiver at the shout of praise;    brothers, lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.    (Refrain)    Like a mighty army moves the church of FSM;    brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.    We are not divided, all one body we,    one in hope and doctrine, one in charity.    (Refrain)    Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane,    but the church of FSM constant will remain.    Gates of hell can never gainst that church prevail;    we have FSM's own promise, and that cannot fail.    (Refrain)    Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,    blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.    Glory, laud, and honor unto FSM the King,    this through countless ages men and angels sing.    (Refrain)

I fucking LOVE that. Imagine Jack Black singing this shit. How fucking awesome would that be?!?!   :super:
Theology is unnecessary. - Stephen Hawking

Munch

Very good, hard hitting video.

you can't convince people of that which is right in front of them, or look at human history for what is actually happening. We live in a world where people still follow on there lizard brains to make judgments and actions. The magical sky god is just a throwback to our caveman ancestors who were afriad of shadows, and unfortunately the more primative mankind is today, the more likely your have our species still believing in those sky gods.

Fortunately, we also live today in a time of discovery, of truth seeking, of science and understanding of the universe. We know today that the world isn't flat but round, that the sun isn't a sky god but font of creation in our universe that gives us life, and by some amazing chance, our planet was just in the right place at the right time to allow time to form it and give us life to be where we are today.
THAT is a miracle, not some bullshit fairy tale people should have grown out of beyond the age of 7-8, but knowing we exist because of things like evolution, growth, and the very nature of our planet and solar system that made it possible.

Yet religion doesn't want to acknowledge this amazing feat of pure chance, they want to believe there imaginary friend made it all happen.

We live in a complex world of both amazing and frustrating people. Lets just remember the people who made all the awesome things though science and discovery that we have today. Heck, me sat here on my pc talking to people across oceans is pretty fucking amazing when you take into account this would be seen as witchcraft 200 years ago.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin