Argument from ignorance must die

Started by rex, March 27, 2014, 12:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex

Quote from: Moralnihilist on March 31, 2014, 09:10:59 PM
I have no idea, thats why Im not running over this forum telling people what they should be doing.

As to god, I am an atheist sooo yea....

=edit=
Rhetoric, such as that brought forward by the OP, is rather pointless. Coming to an atheist website making claims that god does not exist, agnostic atheists are pusses, and that logical fallacies are bad is much like a priest preaching to the choir and about as meaningful as a theist coming here preaching. All in all, the OP reminds me of a young petulant child trying to fit in with people. Where people like this sit around and piss and moan about how things "should" be, others are out in the world trying to make things better in reality.
Says the moral nihilist. Why aren't you out making things better then instead of bitching.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: rex on April 03, 2014, 07:22:06 AM
Says the moral nihilist. Why aren't you out making things better then instead of bitching.

Actually I give quite generously to local charities, I volunteer teaching self defense at a battered women's shelter(that I helped fund the building and maintenance), and Ive donated countless acres of land to my local ASPCA for an off lead dog park to help fund them. A good idea would be to know a bit about a person before making a completely idiotic comment.

And Im not the one bitching.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Feral Atheist

Quote from: aitm on March 27, 2014, 11:12:43 AM
Well, ignorance will never die, it can't, there are too many opportunities for it to spread, and it is so easily obtained.
Yet I have met many people that work very hard at maintaining their ignorance.
In dog beers I've only had one.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Feral Atheist on April 04, 2014, 11:03:56 PM
Yet I have met many people that work very hard at maintaining their ignorance.

It's not that simple. For those people, they often are defending a worldview they have considerably invested time and energy, let alone that their whole world spins around a network of family and friends sharing that same worldview. Needless to say that worldview is based on falsehoods and ignorance which came about through brainwashing. Trying to undo that is like hitting your head against the wall.

the_antithesis

The problem with the argument from ignorance is that it can be phrased "I don't know, therefore I do know."

I don't know what causes the tides, therefore it was god.

It just shows the pride involved. "I came up with an explanation and no one is able to come up with a better explanation."