Take THAT, Vegetarians! MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAH!

Started by stromboli, March 24, 2014, 12:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0088278#abstract0

Our study has shown that Austrian adults who consume a vegetarian diet are less healthy (in terms of cancer, allergies, and mental health disorders), have a lower quality of life, and also require more medical treatment. Therefore, a continued strong public health program for Austria is required in order to reduce the health risk due to nutritional factors. Moreover, our results emphasize the necessity of further studies in Austria, for a more in-depth analysis of the health effects of different dietary habits.

:axe: :axe: :axe:

I'm gonna have a bacon and steak sandwich. :biggrin:

AllPurposeAtheist

CNN BREAKING NEWS: Mass suicides reported among vegetarians globally. :shocked:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Last Saturday I had about 3-4 pounds if fillet mignon wrapped in bacon at an all you can eat restaurant in the city. I must be the healthiest of all!

Sent from the land of pizza.

aitm

Coming from the land of blood sausage, beef blood soups, blood and vegtables, hell blood straight up....I think I take this with a pinch and a wink.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on March 24, 2014, 06:46:10 PM
Coming from the land of blood sausage, beef blood soups, blood and vegtables, hell blood straight up....I think I take this with a pinch and a wink.

No doubt there will be counter studies to try to refute it. Enjoy the meat while you can.

Solitary

Vegetarians have more mental illness, or more mentally ill are vegetarians? This study is so wrong in so many ways. It is a known fact, and substantiated by many blind studies that red meat, high trans fats, high cholesterol, high salt,  high sugar intake, Too much protein, too many calories etc. are bad for your health. The only thing that is bad with a vegetarian diet is it's hard to get enough vitamin B12. It's true that a total vegetarian diet has to be watched carefully to get enough Vitamin B12, but to say eating red meat is not bad is BS. Grill your real fatty meat with all the hormones, and make sure to season it with a lot of salt and real butter, and leave out any vegetables and see how it works out after awhile watching your video screen and TV. The study didn't say if the vegetarians exorcised, or if they ran marathons, and had to have knee surgery when older. I get all my exorcize from carrying the caskets of my friends that did, that always had barbecues. When I was younger I weight trained, ran, and did aerobics while drinking a milkshake with six eggs in the morning and same at night while eating a huge steak and potatoes with a vegetable every day. When I was examine for the draft my blood pressure was 300+ over 180, and all the doctors and medics said it was impossible for me to be alive. I'm a semi-vegetarian now and only eat fish or chicken for meat. When I was younger and only ate chicken for meat my breast became enlarge from the hormones in the chicken. Not funny APA!  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jack89

Quote from: Solitary on March 24, 2014, 11:41:18 PM
Vegetarians have more mental illness, or more mentally ill are vegetarians? This study is so wrong in so many ways. It is a known fact, and substantiated by many blind studies that red meat, high trans fats, high cholesterol, high salt,  high sugar intake, Too much protein, too many calories etc. are bad for your health. The only thing that is bad with a vegetarian diet is it's hard to get enough vitamin B12. It's true that a total vegetarian diet has to be watched carefully to get enough Vitamin B12, but to say eating red meat is not bad is BS. Grill your real fatty meat with all the hormones, and make sure to season it with a lot of salt and real butter, and leave out any vegetables and see how it works out after awhile watching your video screen and TV. The study didn't say if the vegetarians exorcised, or if they ran marathons, and had to have knee surgery when older. I get all my exorcize from carrying the caskets of my friends that did, that always had barbecues. When I was younger I weight trained, ran, and did aerobics while drinking a milkshake with six eggs in the morning and same at night while eating a huge steak and potatoes with a vegetable every day. When I was examine for the draft my blood pressure was 300+ over 180, and all the doctors and medics said it was impossible for me to be alive. I'm a semi-vegetarian now and only eat fish or chicken for meat. When I was younger and only ate chicken for meat my breast became enlarge from the hormones in the chicken. Not funny APA!  Solitary
So are the meat and eggs bad, or the milkshakes and potatoes?  I eat a lot, and I mean a lot, of red meat, eggs, saturated fat, butter and veggies but stay away from the milkshakes, potatoes, grains, and beans.  At 49 my stats are right where they should be, much better than before I started avoiding those things.  My BP and cholesterol went down as I increased my saturated fat and dietary cholesterol intake, but it would be foolish of me to make a hasty correlation and credit those for my improved health. 
Do you remember the food pyramid that told you to eat 6-11 serving of grains and cereal a day?  Makes you wonder.

Plu

Yeah that pyramid is quite outdated. I talked to a dietian who made an updated version. It looks like this:

From the bottom up they are vegetables, fruit, dairy, whole grain, potato/turnip, fish/eggs/meat, legume(?) (beans and the like), oil/fat, nuts/seeds, sweeteners, herbs and spices

I'm not sure whether I'd agree entirely, but it's definately a better one than the original.

Jack89

Looks pretty healthy Plu, but I prefer this one:

I think the the biggest problem diet-wise is that people tend to eat way too many carbs for their activity level.  Chips, soda, bread and pasta = bad.  I'll chow down on carbs if I'm running or hiking a lot, but if not, meat and veggies all the way.  Especially if I'm doing a lot of strength workouts. 

Plu

I've seen the paleo one before as well, but it looks a bit weird. Are you supposed to focus on surface area or location? Because I thought veggies were primary and meat secondary, and by surface area they probably are, but by order it's different.

ApostateLois

I don't think there is any one perfect diet for everyone. Sure, Stone Age people had healthier foods (no pesticides, preservatives, processed sugar, pollution, etc.), but they led hard, short lives and died of all kinds of diseases. In winter, food was scarce and people died of starvation. In fact, winter food would have consisted almost entirely of meat, including organ meats, with very little or no vegetation at all until the snow melted. I doubt that people on the paleo diet limit their diets in that manner in the winter months to more closely resemble a Stone Age diet. Overall, it seems like a good diet, and one that you can alter as you see fit according to what's available seasonally.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

stromboli

I don't see Marijuana or beer on there anywhere. Everybody knows that these two by themselves cover every food group under "Knoshing" and "Munchies."

Casparov

That study is from 2004 and is unfunded and unsupported, which is suspect...

This study is from The 2010 version of Dietary Guidelines for Americans, a report issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services every five years:

Quote“In prospective studies of adults, compared to non-vegetarian eating patterns, vegetarian-style eating patterns have been associated with improved health outcomesâ€"lower levels of obesity, a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, and lower total mortality. Several clinical trials have documented that vegetarian eating patterns lower blood pressure. On average, vegetarians consume a lower proportion of calories from fat (particularly saturated fatty acids); fewer overall calories; and more fiber, potassium, and vitamin C than do non-vegetarians. Vegetarians generally have a lower body mass index. These characteristics and other lifestyle factors associated with a vegetarian diet may contribute to the positive health outcomes that have been identified among vegetarians.”

Weird that the results are polar opposite from one another...

The American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada have stated that at all stages of life, a properly planned vegetarian diet is "healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provides health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases". Large-scale studies have shown that mortality from ischaemic heart disease was 30% lower among vegetarian men and 20% lower among vegetarian women than in non-vegetarians. Vegetarian diets offer lower levels of saturated fat, cholesterol and animal protein, and higher levels of carbohydrates, fibre, magnesium, potassium, folate, and antioxidants such as vitamins C and E and phytochemicals.

Vegetarians tend to have lower body mass index, lower levels of cholesterol, lower blood pressure, and less incidence of heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, renal disease, metabolic syndrome, dementias such as Alzheimer's disease and other disorders. Non-lean red meat, in particular, has been found to be directly associated with increased risk of cancers of the esophagus, liver, colon, and the lungs.  A 2010 study compared a group of vegetarian and meat-eating Seventh-day Adventists in which vegetarians scored lower on depression tests and had better mood profiles.
“The Fanatical Atheists are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures whoâ€"in their grudge against traditional religion as the "opium of the masses"â€"cannot hear the music of other spheres.” - Albert Einstein

SGOS

People should adhere to any diet that suits them without getting in anyone else's face about.  I don't see a vegetarian diet or a diet of beer and red meat as things to take particular pride in.  Yet people do seem to take pride is such specific diets.  The whole world of diet is filled with guru's, myths, and horribly misinformed people, trying to get it right, but often acting on silly and unfounded beliefs.

Year's ago I attended a weekend workshop on some new age mental health self improvement bullshit.  One of things I "learned" at that workshop was that crab meat was high in anxiety (that sounds like a Mel Brooks movie).  It wasn't high in salt or cholesterol, mercury, or some toxin.  It was high in anxiety.  I kept trying to picture molecular structures in crab meat that constituted anxiety.