News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I'm Catholic, let me have it!

Started by Vercingetorix, March 23, 2014, 01:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vercingetorix

Hello everyone, I am a cradle Catholic who fancies himself an apologist. I am not here because I have been sent by God to convert the heathen masses concentrated here, but because I believe there IS a competent, intellectual way of thinking about/understanding the existence of a deity (especially the Christian one.) All I want to do is see if I can hold my own in an open forum... (I'm a lamb in search of a slaughterhouse.) With that said, what is wrong with Christianity anyway? Is it anti-intellectual? Is it complete nonsense? Is it destructive? Are you indifferent to religion, or do you revile it? P.S. if this is the wrong place to post this, let me be rebuffed quickly, and I will post this elsewhere.   

leo

Dude you should leave this  site if your plans are to troll the site. You will be eaten alive. Please reconsider your trolls plans.  :cool:
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Atheon

To the OP: Prove your god exists.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

leo

Quote from: Vercingetorix on March 23, 2014, 01:59:47 PM
Hello everyone, I am a cradle Catholic who fancies himself an apologist. I am not here because I have been sent by God to convert the heathen masses concentrated here, but because I believe there IS a competent, intellectual way of thinking about/understanding the existence of a deity (especially the Christian one.) All I want to do is see if I can hold my own in an open forum... (I'm a lamb in search of a slaughterhouse.) With that said, what is wrong with Christianity anyway? Is it anti-intellectual? Is it complete nonsense? Is it destructive? Are you indifferent to religion, or do you revile it? P.S. if this is the wrong place to post this, let me be rebuffed quickly, and I will post this elsewhere.   
Okay I will take the bait.  What's wrong with christianity ? (Almost EVERYTHING).  It is anti-intellectual? ( YEP)  it's complete nonse ? (YEP) it's destructive ? (In many cases YEP). In real life I'm indifferent to religion. Also you must prove your monster Yahveh god is more real than the Tooth fairy , santa , Easter bunny and Chuck Norris.

PickelledEggs

QuoteI am a cradle Catholic
I'm sorry to hear that.

QuoteIs it anti-intellectual?
Yes

QuoteIs it complete nonsense?
Yes

QuoteIs it destructive?

Yes

QuoteAre you indifferent to religion, or do you revile it?

Revile is a strong word. I need a much stronger one to describe how I feel about it.

Anyway... Welcome. I'm not sure what you mean by "Hold your own" Ihad a catholic tell me that she knew all the points against the lack of belief in her god, and all she really had to offer was nonsensical circular logic.

Good luck!  :smile2:

the_antithesis

... I believe there IS a competent, intellectual way of thinking about/understanding the existence of a deity ...
What's a deity?

stromboli

No, you came here because you are an ignorant moron who thinks he can prove something by posting topics that have been hashed over dozens of times. You will deny any evidence we bring, be unable to prove the validity of your beliefs and will either eventually leave or be banned.

the_antithesis

QuoteThe generally accepted view is that Vercingetorix derives from the Gaulish ver- ("over, superior" â€" an etymological cognate of Latin super or Greek hyper),[1] cingeto- ("warrior", related to roots meaning "tread, step, walk", so possibly "infantry"),[2] and rix ("king") (cf. Latin rex), thus literally either "great warrior king" or "king of great warriors".[3]

Nice name to take. A better name would have been Charmin.

curiouscrab

The way I see it perhaps some Catholicism was true at some time (such as people escaping from Egyptians or whatever), but it was over-exaggerated and eventually somebody made up God in order to insure order because most people who are Catholic are civilized only because they don't want to do a sin. The majority of Catholicism is mental and the occasional physical, but nothing proves the physical part is real. BTW, sins are for Math. :fU:
Romans - 1
Jesus - 0
:vegetasmiley:
Just :hand: and :think: for a moment about your life. :doh: when you realize you believed in something and found out it wasn't true :liar: :wall: (aka :new_xmas:). Now repeat while thinking about what you may currently believe in. :fU:

leo

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 23, 2014, 03:44:44 PM
Quote from: the_antithesis on March 23, 2014, 03:44:44 PM
That's perfect! Charmin is the perfect name for this new troll.

Johan

With that said, what is wrong with Christianity anyway?
Every person who comes here asking that question seems to have their own individual definition of what Christianity is and what it isn't. So why don't you define exactly what your particular brand of Christianity is first and then we'll tell you what's wrong with it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

curiouscrab

Actually, if anything existed, then why do we have so many religions? Why doesn't everybody believe in the same religion? Because none of them are true. Just lies. Atheism isn't really a religion, but a lack of religion which is the only reasonable group of people.
Romans - 1
Jesus - 0
:vegetasmiley:
Just :hand: and :think: for a moment about your life. :doh: when you realize you believed in something and found out it wasn't true :liar: :wall: (aka :new_xmas:). Now repeat while thinking about what you may currently believe in. :fU:

AllPurposeAtheist

**senses Leo mocks her dental deity and demands immediate apology. May you develop a bad gum disease that oozes from your ears!  :naughty:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Plu

Welcome. You're better off taking this discussion to a forum full of intelligent muslims. You'll quickly realise they use the exact same arguments you use to prove your god to prove theirs, and it's much funnier to see that discussion happening.