Why Do Organisms tend to exist?

Started by FractalEternalWheel, March 22, 2014, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Non existence choosing gene. Never thought of that one.  :think:

AllPurposeAtheist

I  gotta be honest here,  'why do orgasms tend to exist' sounds far more interesting.

Then again. Maybe it's just me.

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Quote from: FractalEternalWheel on March 22, 2014, 03:40:43 PMWhy Do Organisms tend to exist?

Because it makes the act of reproduction a rewarding experience regardless of whether it's successful or not. 
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Jason78 on March 25, 2014, 09:49:53 AM
Because it makes the act of reproduction a rewarding experience regardless of whether it's successful or not. 
Which is why orgasms are more interesting than organisms.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jmpty

When anything dies, it does not cease to exist, it merely dies, and exists in another form. Matter is matter, after all.
???  ??

Solitary

It is the cosmic imperative, or purpose in life, to perpetuate our species. We have a will toward pleasure and life, and to avoid pain and suffering. There actually are people that get pleasure out of pain and suffering called masochists. Why else would some religious people flagellate themselves? And why is masturbation called self abuse by some religious people? Why does the Catholic Church want to instill quilt for things that are pleasurable and not hurting anyone? Not all of life is about pain and suffering unless you let it be, even when you get as old as I am, the good things are still good, even if they become less to be able to experience. Always be happy, when suffering it will end sooner or later, and when not, be happy you are not. If nothing else helps get drunk. If it's unbearable end it, life is not sacred at that point. Do the best you can, it is the only chance you have to live, no matter what people believe doesn't change what is factual and real. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: Jmpty on March 25, 2014, 12:44:48 PM
When anything dies, it does not cease to exist, it merely dies, and exists in another form. Matter is matter, after all.

Can you show examples of this? Our bodies don't exist after we die, only the parts that make it up. That is not who we are, we emerge from all those living parts (cells) functioning.  When they die we don't exist, just like when we get hit on the head from a blow that knocks us unconscious. We are consciousness itself trapped in a body, and nothing more. Solitary

Jmpty

How do the atoms that make up Solitary change when Solitary dies? Does a piece of petrified wood cease to exist because the tree it came from dies? Does an insect caught in amber for 10,000 years no longer exist because it died? What is this "consciousness" you speak of?
???  ??

FractalEternalWheel

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 23, 2014, 01:46:10 PM
This is not philosophy. This is childish appeal to emotion with no thought or intelligence.

In other words, who the fuck are you to say moles are miserable? Do you know any moles? Do moles talk to you? They may love it in the dark underground. The fuck is wrong with you?

dude like chill out,we are just discussing ideas no need to get all angry and start bashing my stupidity. Ok so when I was writing this I do agree I was emotionally exhausted but still,...and I do believe that you should keep your temper down its not really healthy you know.
Quote from: aitm on March 23, 2014, 10:17:48 PM
as we both know, feeling pain and being cognizent of death is a pretty large leap to make such an assumption on a organism if which you have no knowledge

supposition
this is an excellent start.. i hope you do not stop anytime soon
this is true

of course we are listening, we are responding. Don't be so quick to jump off the cliff, although it seems you are already at the precipice. Many, many, many people have shared your frustration. Relax and scan a few threads that you find intriging before you write us off. If you wish to start this just so you can go off and cry god save me, than you can expect to be justly ridiculed as a moron. If you are just frustrated because god doesn't seem to hear you, then sit down and find out why.
Hmm I haven't wrote you off,anyway again I was really emotionally fucked that day,and I bearably remember writing any of this so sorry,next time when I will go through emotions like this I won't start new threads.
Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on March 23, 2014, 10:04:59 PM
What makes you assume that the mole or the bee are miserable? Maybe they like the situation they are in.
You have no way of knowing.

Also why do you assume that our lives are mostly filled with suffering? Maybe your life is mostly filled with suffering, to which I'd say that sucks and get some help if it's psychological, but don't try to project that unto every other person and animal out there.

If I'm correct, your argument boils down to this:

1. Most of life is suffering.
2. Existence is suffering.
3. Therefore why bother reproducing or even existing for that matter?

If that's the case your argument fails because 1 and 2 aren't proven.

well they aren't proven wrong ether so your argument does not prove anything.

anyway what are your thoughts on Biocentrism?

http://www.robertlanzabiocentrism.com/why-do-you-exist/

This theory that the universe exists only if it is observed by consciousness  seems a bit silly,because if nothing exists unless I observe it then you do not exists because I do not see you.And what about evolution? If all that inorganic stuff happened before organic life, and then organic life with consciousness, how did that consciousness come about?

Plu

QuoteThis theory that the universe exists only if it is observed by consciousness  seems a bit silly

Talk about an understatement. It's both ridiculous and meaningless, more of one or the other depending on your definition of "consciousness".

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 23, 2014, 01:46:10 PM
who the fuck are you to say moles are miserable? Do you know any moles? Do moles talk to you? They may love it in the dark underground. The fuck is wrong with you?
I don't know about any of this.  Ants might be happy, but bees seem angry sometimes.  I don't like bees very much, but I leave them alone, but I think ants are OK.  Stink bugs don't seem much of anything.  I have no idea why they should want to stink.  Stinking isn't something I aspire to.  I wouldn't want to be a stink bug.  I think butterflies are happy.

Plu

I can kinda get into why bees always seem angry.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Plu on March 26, 2014, 10:03:05 AM
I can kinda get into why bees always seem angry.

Must be a pretty good plan as people usually pull away when they see bees flying around.

Solitary

Quote from: Jmpty on March 25, 2014, 04:44:19 PM
How do the atoms that make up Solitary change when Solitary dies? Does a piece of petrified wood cease to exist because the tree it came from dies? Does an insect caught in amber for 10,000 years no longer exist because it died? What is this "consciousness" you speak of?

The question is whether I would exist not my atoms. Also, a petrified wood is not a piece of the tree that died, it is stone. The insect still exists, but it is still not functioning and dead.  Consciousness I already explained what it is. Look the word up in a good dictionary so you aren't arguing from ignorance. Solitary

Jmpty

Explain how "I" exist outside of my atoms.
???  ??