News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is evolution atheistic or not?

Started by 12Monkeys, March 22, 2014, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Apropos of very little in this thread, I found this blog post that pretty much explains this woman's understanding of evolution perfectly. Somewhere her science teacher is huddled in a corner, crying quietly and rocking.
http://valkyriefromthelore.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/evolution-and-why-it-makes-no-sense/
QuoteI’m actually a little afraid to post this one, lol. It’s been a subject of controversy for so long, but I want my thoughts heard if everyone else gets to!

First off, my science teachers all throughout school keep trying to tell me that humans evolved from apes/ gorillas/ monkeys, whatever. I’d like to state that there are still monkeys!! Apparently, evolution occurred when the species no longer needed a particular feature, so it kind of faded away from our design. Riiiight.

And apparently, there are related species of animals because, as numbers of them traveled to different parts of Pangaea before it broke apart, they evolved. Um, okay?

Then let me ask you this: Why aren’t they evolving anymore? Hmm? No species is perfect, and if we were really changing and acclimating, why wouldn’t we keep going until we were completely adapted to our present environment? Not only that, but how does a monkey physically change as well as becoming incredibly intelligent? They are primates, they are primitive. If we CAME from monkeys, why can’t we teach the rest of the species what we know now?

A monkey cannot learn to speak. A monkey may be able to recognize letters, words or pictures, but it will never be able to read and follow an instruction manual, or follow the plot of an action movie. I love animals, so don’t get me wrong here. I’m simply saying it doesn’t add up if we came from an animal that can’t adapt the way we supposedly did.

And how about this: The Bible is said to be God’s word, written down by people all over the world as time went by. God is said to have CREATED animals, nature, people… And if you think about it, humans do not have the same type of brain, nervous system, respiratory system, etc. as an animal. We can think and feel emotions on a highly superior level, even if that only means we can actually express those thoughts and feelings. Also, the fruit and vegetables and berries that grow in the wild. Have you ever thought about how perfect of a creation that is?

Berries: You pick ‘em and eat ‘em. Bananas, oranges: Peel ‘em and eat ‘em. Apples, tomatoes, potatoes: You just bite in! You don’t have to go through the process of cutting, boiling, and seasoning everything to death. All the natural foods in the world are an exact fit for human hands. No utensils or dishes necessary.

I’d like to trace my steps back to the animal portion of evolution: Trainers are bringing animals from one part of the globe to another all the time. Those animals mate and bear offspring, but in all the time that we’ve been doing this, those animals haven’t changed. Care to explain how different hemispheres cause evolution if it’s not happening?

ALSO, here’s a huge point! People of color are born with their dark skin, or their light skin. You can’t put a white man in Africa and watch him turn black. You can’t keep a dark-skinned man in the dark and think he’ll get lighter. That would be evolving wouldn’t it? Adapting to, or disposing of, features you do or don’t need due to your environment? The most that happens is we get tan or burnt.

So, another question: How do they propose to argue the theory of evolution when, and this is obvious, gorillas were covered in hair and men aren’t? Gorillas didn’t shave their faces, and men don’t need to, but men also aren’t losing hair off their bodies as the years go by. “The growth of androgenic hair is related to the level of androgens (male hormones) in the individual. Due to a normally higher level of androgen, men tend to have more androgenic hair than women.” This quote, taken straight from Wikipedia’s body hair page, is correct. BUT! Do you mean to tell me that hormone levels all the sudden dropped drastically, and monkeys grew less hairy, learned to walk upright, speak, write, read, sing, dance, and grasp objects between two fingers? Yea, right.

I could go on and on and on and on and on andâ€"

Just leave me your thoughts and comments in a civil manner. Let me know if there’s an aspect of evolution I didn’t cover. I’d be interested to see what people bring to the table in this discussion.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

"Global warming", on the other hand, IS an atheist plot, because God created this planet and he wouldn't let it die.

So speaketh my cousin with two teeth.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on March 23, 2014, 09:57:03 AM
Apropos of very little in this thread, I found this blog post that pretty much explains this woman's understanding of evolution perfectly. Somewhere her science teacher is huddled in a corner, crying quietly and rocking.
http://valkyriefromthelore.wordpress.com/2014/03/18/evolution-and-why-it-makes-no-sense/
Oh my!  Now that's insight. 

Evolution is false
I've never seen an elephant turn into a zebra
Therefore, evolution is false

Mermaid

anyone feeling strong should read her entry on abortion. It's so beyond the pale that I have to wonder if she isn't actually a brilliant person posting stupid stuff just to get pageviews. It's not a bad strategy if you think about it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2014, 09:03:26 PM
Nope, just wondering why God was jerking off for 14.2 billion years.

The fruit of that long and seemingly forever masturbation was Adam and Eve, and they ended up disobeying him... those ungrateful chidren, they deserved everything they got...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 23, 2014, 12:32:26 PM
The fruit of that long and seemingly forever masturbation was Adam and Eve, and they ended up disobeying him... those ungrateful chidren, they deserved everything they got...
They got left in a theme park with very dangerous plants, a serpent created by god (meaning he knew what it would get up to), and no clothes. Somehow I can't respect a god that is that stupid.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2014, 12:39:36 PM
They got left in a theme park with very dangerous plants, a serpent created by god (meaning he knew what it would get up to), and no clothes. Somehow I can't respect a god that is that stupid.

Ha, God was just challenging them. What's wrong with that?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 23, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
Ha, God was just challenging them. What's wrong with that?
Take two innocents with no idea of right or wrong and test them to make sure they know right from wrong. Good plan.
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2014, 12:44:58 PM
Take two innocents with no idea of right or wrong and test them to make sure they know right from wrong. Good plan.

Now you're getting it!

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2014, 01:28:28 PM
Is that why I can't stream "Fantastic Planet"?

Yep, God, in his grand wisdom of using Netflix, is punishing you.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on March 23, 2014, 01:34:28 PM
Yep, God, in his grand wisdom of using Netflix, is punishing you.
That's okay, "The Croods" is on.
PZ Myers