News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is evolution atheistic or not?

Started by 12Monkeys, March 22, 2014, 01:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12Monkeys

I'm an atheist because I haven't seen any evidence for God. An example that I use that there is no evidence is the human brain. It evolved through evolution by natural selection no god required. Whilst God could have used evolution to create humans there is no evidence of this that I have ever seen.

Richard Dawkins has said:
"It is my understanding of evolution that has lead me to atheism"

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_nbZ1FJgk

But there are many theistic scientists like Kenneth Miller who are theistic evolutionists.

So is evolution atheistic or not?

Here is an article on the subject: http://infidels.org/library/modern/bart_klink/evolution.html

Plu

Only disbelief in gods is atheistic. What arguments you use to reach that position is up to you, but there's nothing inherently atheist about any kind of argument.

SGOS

Theist:  "What you don't believe in God?  I suppose you believe in evolution then."
Atheist: "Well, yes I do.  So what's your point?"

12Monkeys

"...but there's nothing inherently atheist about any kind of argument." -- Plu

That's interesting could you expand on that please?

Thanks for the quick response.

Edit: SGOS that made me laugh.

leo

There isn't any real evidence or argument in favor of any gods. The god of the bible for example is a asshole. Yahvew is a monster not worthy of worship or wasting time with.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Mermaid

I work with a lot of theistic scientists. What we study is pretty much fundamentally a demonstration of evolution in action--parasitology. Parasites and hosts are the perfect example of an evolutionary arms race. It baffles me how these people reconcile that with being Christian, but I guess we all have mechanisms for rationalization of things.*shrug*

I think someone who identifies themselves as "atheist" is someone who does not believe in any creating ruling God.
I think someone who identifies themselves as "theist" is someone who believes in a creating, ruling God.

That's it. So the answer to your question is no. It's not inherently atheistic. One sort of follows the other, but not necessarily.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

12Monkeys

And I guess you couldn't ask your fellow scientists why they believe because that falls under religion and politics.

Mermaid

Quote from: 12Monkeys on March 22, 2014, 02:50:25 PM
And I guess you couldn't ask your fellow scientists why they believe because that falls under religion and politics.
Definitely not. There are some who volunteer some information over beers and I've learned quite a bit about just how conservative and religious some are, but frankly, I don't want to know, and I absolutely do not want to invite direct questions about my religious beliefs. (although I would probably just stretch the truth about it and be vague).
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GSOgymrat

Belief in a god and belief in evolution are two completely different things. For example, I could say that based on the inherent order and properties of this universe (mathematics, matter, time, energy, the process of evolution, consciousness derived from neurologic process, etc.) that it was designed by an intelligence that must exist outside our physical universe. I call this intelligence God and it is beyond our ability to completely understand it or directly interact with it, humans at our present stage of evolution can only continue gather information about the universe it created. I believe this to be true without evidence and therefore my belief is based on faith but evolution actually adds to the evidence that God exists.

I don't actually believe that but it is an example of how evolution can be used as evidence for God rather than against it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Sorry, GSOgymrat, but a blind, undirected force like evolution doesn't show much potential for Goddidit. First off, if a god or gods created the universe, why did they allow 14.2 billion years to go by before humans showed up? Why 3+ billion years for Earth to spin around the Sun without having intelligent life on it? The Anthropic Principle is a dog that won't hunt.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2014, 05:23:32 PM
Sorry, GSOgymrat, but a blind, undirected force like evolution doesn't show much potential for Goddidit. First off, if a god or gods created the universe, why did they allow 14.2 billion years to go by before humans showed up? Why 3+ billion years for Earth to spin around the Sun without having intelligent life on it? The Anthropic Principle is a dog that won't hunt.
oh come on. Everyone knows 1 day equals 14.2 billion years..  What can I tell you? It's been a long day.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

QuoteThat's interesting could you expand on that please?

Atheism is a rejection of belief in deities, not a worldview in and of itself. As such, there's no reason to believe any positions could be "atheistic" other than the one it gets its name from. Atheism doesn't try to explain anything, it just says something about a person's acceptance of deities.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2014, 05:23:32 PM

I think you are assuming the universe exists for the benefit or creation of humans.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 22, 2014, 07:40:56 PM
I think you are assuming the universe exists for the benefit or creation of humans.
Nope, just wondering why God was jerking off for 14.2 billion years.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

St Giordano Bruno

Evolution? no more so than many considered it to be a communist plot back in the 1950's. Only atheism per se is atheistic. Evolution by definition is "evolutionistic"
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"