News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Could you climb Mt Everest every single day?

Started by Brian37, March 19, 2014, 10:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Just got finished watching another incredible show on science on the National Geographic Channel. "Light The Ocean". Our ocean currents are extremely complex and give rise to the extremely tiny microscopic food sources that without a churning ocean, or currents life on this planet would not have evolved to such a complex degree. One of the more amazing things to me is how tiny our surface mountains are compared to the underwater mountain ranges. Everest is a midget compared to the height of some of these underwater ranges.

One underwater canyon as deep as the grand canyon provides a haven for krill in the Monterey California bay. These tiny species feed on the surface at night but basically swim to the bottom during the day for cover, because the bottom is dark. They do this EVERY day, the equal distance of a human climbing Mt Everest. Our planet is amazing.

I think it is much more awe inspiring to know all this was not caused and simply a giant weather pattern. To think of this as being a product of a magic man cheapens the reality that we really are lucky, even with all the bad that happens. To think of all the variables in the history of this planet, one meteor here or there, or no impact causing the moon, and life never would have happened. Reality is much more fucking awesome than stupid comic books humans make to placate their childish emotions.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Gawdzilla Sama

In context it's not that hard. They don't fight against gravity, or ice, or lack of O2. It's far closer to a five mile walk for a human.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Brian37

Still considering their size, even with water they are still fighting current up and down, so it is not simply walking, it is walking in high wind and they can have that wind to their backs or against them. For their size I find it amazing.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

God compells them to do it. Undoubtedly they only really do it to please Big Spooky! Still, we have dominion over them. They are there to serve us..well people like the Koch brothers because they're the job creators. We're mere peons Big Spooky destined us to be.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Brian37

Yes Apollo gave humans dominion over animals.

Mandingo