News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello. Im a Student

Started by YouCanCallMeDave, February 26, 2014, 12:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Quote from: "YouCanCallMeDave"When you refer to Atheists as not being 'law-less'  ,  is this in reference to crime/road laws/civil laws  ?  

Yeah. Religious laws can generally be divided into silly laws and common sense laws, and most common sense laws make it into civil law. Atheists tend to follow civil law, because society would be real shit without them. But really we're just people, and most people follow the law of the land for whatever reason, whether it's 'not wanting to go to jail' or 'feeling its the right thing' or just 'doing as told'. Atheism doesn't play into it as much as you'd think.
(Remember: atheism is not some kind of standard to live by. Atheists need something else for that, as atheism is just a rejection of gods, and rejecting gods doesn't tell you anything about what to do with the rest of your life.)

QuoteAlso,  does it refer to NON-laws yet disgraceful behavior which include adultery , orgies,  and the like ?    

What makes you think orgies are disgraceful? That sounds like religious teaching to me. I don't have any problems with what consenting adults do in the privacy of their own homes, and I have engaged (and will again) in group sex things. And my girlfriend is there with me, having just as much fun as me. (Sometimes more.)
As to adultery; again it varies from person to person but I personally consider it a breach of trust (since it involves doing something you've either verbally or silently agreed not to do) and all breaches of trust are bad things that I wouldn't engage in.

QuoteI guess what im trying to decipher within the Atheist Community is :  

Important note: there is no such thing as "the atheist community". There are just a bunch of atheists, and sometimes they flock together. Thinking of atheists as a community makes as much sense as thinking of all brown-haired people as a community. We have very little in common most of the time.
(That said; this forum has a bit of a community, even though we tend to disagree on most topics even here. But that's not because we're all atheists, but because we've all known each other for a while.)

QuoteSo long as its legal, then would most Atheists  find an action therefore permissible  since they don't go by established moral standards of an absolute nature  ?    

That's up to each atheist. I certainly don't go by "anything that's legal is a good thing", and I'm actually a lot stricter in what I consider proper behaviour than most religious people I think.

QuoteAnd,  where do you personally fall into all of this for Yourself and what do you see as your justification ?  

My justification is my desire to make the world a little better and the people I care about a little happier. If my actions accomplish that, I'd say they're good ones.

QuoteYou also have to remember that not all Atheists are such out of philosophical points of views. A lot have no religion due to science. Some reject religions due to both.

And a lot are atheists only because nobody ever told them about god when they were kids and adults tend to not buy into that kind of thing. There's nothing you can deduce from these people, as atheism is a simply default state for them.
In general, you can't predict an atheist's behaviour. You'd have to know what other philosophies he describes to in order to live his life, because atheism doesn't teach you anything except the absence of gods.

Jason78

Quote from: YouCanCallMeDave on February 26, 2014, 04:40:41 PM
  Thanks for the welcome ;   how did  you become an atheist if I may ask ?

I never really became a theist.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mister Agenda

Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina