News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Cosmos Episode 2

Started by SGOS, March 17, 2014, 10:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I'm going to keep watching the series, but it's clearly geared for those with very little knowledge of science.  I keep thinking it's most appropriate for early teens.  The second episode was devoted entirely to elementary level evolution, which is old hat for people in this forum.  I'm hoping to learn more when they get into black holes and quantum mechanics.

SGOS

I thought it was a pretty good visual with side by side screens showing the development of the eye on one side and what that particular animal group was probably actually seeing on the other.

Hijiri Byakuren

I don't understand why everyone expects this show to be about super-advanced stuff. It has so far been the exact same level of material that the original talked about. If you want the more advanced stuff, find a more advanced show, because Cosmos is not, and has never been about teaching the high level stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 17, 2014, 10:51:37 AM
I don't understand why everyone expects this show to be about super-advanced stuff. It has so far been the exact same level of material that the original talked about. If you want the more advanced stuff, find a more advanced show, because Cosmos is not, and has never been about teaching the high level stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Titty sprinkles.

I'm not sure we expect it to be super advanced.  I'm only talking about my needs.  I think the show has value, and I think schools should show the series to all elementary students.

stromboli

I think it is geared to the median level, probably about 6th grade. I recall reading somewhere that that was the level advertising and other written media was geared to. It has value because it explains simplistically stuff like DNA and evolution. I think Degrasse Tyson is well aware of his audience. And also it is being shown on Fox, so there is a ready made 6th grade level audience to show it to.

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on March 17, 2014, 11:14:21 AM
I think it is geared to the median level, probably about 6th grade. I recall reading somewhere that that was the level advertising and other written media was geared to. It has value because it explains simplistically stuff like DNA and evolution. I think Degrasse Tyson is well aware of his audience. And also it is being shown on Fox, so there is a ready made 6th grade level audience to show it to.
I think you're right about the FOX audience, although it's personally horrifying to agree with that.

Mermaid

I thought the episode on evolution was outstanding. It covered a lot of really complicated concepts in a layperson's terms without being simplistic. I give it all kinds of kudos. I was put off by all the cartoons and graphics at first, but it really worked, IMO.

My favorite analogy of the evening: Evolution is "just" a theory. Gravity is also a theory.

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: stromboli on March 17, 2014, 11:14:21 AM
I have no problem teaching basic biology to the least common denominator if it is effective.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

I had to pick up the damn grandkid last night so watching it now...I'm starting to like it more. The digs at superstition are open but gentle, kinda like bumping into your sister.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Atheon

Creationists must be going nuts over the second episode. It was entirely dedicated to the theory that they so irrationally fear.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mermaid

Quote from: Atheon on March 18, 2014, 05:15:59 AM
Creationists must be going nuts over the second episode. It was entirely dedicated to the theory that they so irrationally fear.
Yeah. It was kind of in your face about that, backed up with logic and facts.

The more people who really understand reality, the less power the creationists have. Education is the key and this is a good tool. I commend Fox for airing this.

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on March 18, 2014, 05:15:59 AM
Yeah, they probably are, whether they watched it or not.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

I like the fact that he occasionally gives a nod to Sagan and the original. I like Tyson because he is more than willing to honor those who came before.