From Hiroshima to Fukushima, Vietnam to Fallujah

Started by drunkenshoe, March 12, 2014, 11:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Quote from: SilentFutility on March 15, 2014, 05:41:20 AM

The USA played a hugely important role in defeating the Wermacht, but to say that they were the primary reason they were defeated is simply incorrect.

Indeed, the turning point was at Stalingrad, when Russia inflicted Hitler his first major defeat. After that, it was downhill for Germany. If anything, Russia was the main actor, led secondly by the Allies.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzoQuote from: SilentFutility on Today at 04:41:20 AM

The USA played a hugely important role in defeating the Wermacht, but to say that they were the primary reason they were defeated is simply incorrect.
Indeed, the turning point was at Stalingrad, when Russia inflicted Hitler his first major defeat. After that, it was downhill for Germany. If anything, Russia was the main actor, led secondly by the Allies.
True, but it didn't stop Stalin from demanding a Second Front in Europe as early as 1942. (This was conveniently forgotten after the war in the USSR.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shol'va

From Hiroshima to Fukushima, Vietnam to Fallujah, Ancient Greece to WW2, Native American Wars, Socrates and everything in between.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: drunkenshoey? you're admitting to beiWe're Quoteng that shallow?  Hmmm.. just knew itagree with that last post mainly because it's true. But hey, maybe our government really is 100% benevolence based. Quote from: AllPurposeAtheOf course it is. You have my word for it. 
I was actually standing up for your post. Hey wait! We're pure as the driven on snow? I just knew it! If i wasnt so damned tired from insomnia id read thst whole post. :o
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 15, 2014, 09:31:02 AM
Quote from: josephpalazzoQuote from: SilentFutility on Today at 04:41:20 AM

True, but it didn't stop Stalin from demanding a Second Front in Europe as early as 1942. (This was conveniently forgotten after the war in the USSR.)

There's no denying that Russia got a lot of help. And it was unfortunate that as a communist regime, it turned hostile towards the West at the end of WW2, a needless Cold War that lasted for another 45 years.

Moriarty

Quote from: josephpalazzoQuote from: SilentFutility on Today at 05:41:20 AM

From a pure military point of view absolutely. What I learned in school and even university is that the Soviets would have been incapable of defending themselves, let alone push back without massive material support from the U.S.

Aircraft 14,795
Tanks 7,056
Jeeps 51,503
Trucks 375,883
Motorcycles 35,170
Tractors 8,071
Guns 8,218
Machine guns 131,633
Explosives 345,735 tons
Building equipment valued $10,910,000
Railroad freight cars 11,155
Locomotives 1,981
Cargo ships 90
Submarine hunters 105
Torpedo boats 197
Ship engines 7,784
Food supplies 4,478,000 tons
Machines and equipment $1,078,965,000
Non-ferrous metals 802,000 tons
Petroleum products 2,670,000 tons
Chemicals 842,000 tons
Cotton 106,893,000 tons
Leather 49,860 tons
Tires 3,786,000
Army boots 15,417,001 pairs
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Gawdzilla Sama

QuoteAw, I know I am asking for too much from your mind which is not equipped to perceive anything different than the common generic American bullshit that has been filled in. But see, there you go. You are standing against like a good American and WATCHING everything around you like a MOVIE.  Make some more popcorn. You'll need a lot.
I have a Masters in History, specializing in WWII. I would also invite you to visit my archival site, Hyperwar. You'll find >200 gigabytes of material on WWII there, collected over twenty years of work. 
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoeAw, I know I am asking for too much from your mind which is not equipped to perceive anything different than the common generic American bullshit that has been filled in.
Oh don't get me wrong, Shoe, I'm probably the most anti-American person on the forum. I've just learned from the past that you will yell at me whether I agree with you or not, like you're going to after I make this post. So instead, I just embrace the entertainment value. ;D
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Moriarty

All I'm really saying DS, is that if you really wanted to point out a U.S. atrocity, you would be better served pointing out what it did AFTER WWII. It helped to completely drive a wedge between it and the U.S.S.R., and take advantage of the fact that the rest of the worlds nations and their economies had been destroyed, and jumped all over it to try to dominate the world for the next 60+ years. That was the atrocity committed.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoeHijiri,
No, I'm not going to yell at you if you agree with me or not. (Yes, I know I did that before.) And I don't agree that anything I am saying here is 'anti-American' either. On the contrary. Do you really think that anyone who is really this immersed with some country's culture, spending this amount of time with its people is against it? LOL.
I don't want anyone to be anti-American, I want people to extract fairy tale from reality. In case people didn't notice, this is the main theme of our little community.
On that we can agree.

Moriarty

Quote from: drunkenshoeQuote from: MoriartyAll I'm really saying DS, is that if you really wanted to point out a U.S. atrocity, you would be better served pointing out what it did AFTER WWII. It helped to completely drive a wedge between it and the U.S.S.R., and take advantage of the fact that the rest of the worlds nations and their economies had been destroyed, and jumped all over it to try to dominate the world for the next 60+ years. That was the atrocity committed.Translation: "Shoe, I think there is a possibility that you might be saying something more than just 'blaming' some country for atrocities, but I cannot bother to work my mind into it, it needs time and work, it's exhausting, frankly, I don't care because I love living in this world. See you in the chat room. Moar x."
If that is how you translate things, you should look for a new profession~
<Insert witty remark>

Hijiri Byakuren

The double-quotes on this new forum really need some work. -.-

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri ByakurenThe double-quotes on this new forum really need some work. -.-
Yep. 
PZ Myers

Moriarty

<Insert witty remark>