What political "red lines" do you have?

Started by zarus tathra, February 19, 2014, 11:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

I don't trust anyone who envisions a world that's totally devoid of violence. Without violence, money would be the only form of influence that has any relevance, and I don't trust moneyed interests enough to allow that.

Plus, this ideal is implicitly the motivation for pretty much EVERY large scale conflict and genocidal organization ever. This includes Marxism.

Everyone who talks about the "end of violence" plans to be the last person to hold a gun.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Hijiri Byakuren

Aside from book burning and regulation of the internet, I'd have to say my biggest red line is allowing church and state to mix. We've seen it turn out to be a bad idea enough times that the fact that it's a bad idea should be self-evident by now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

zarus tathra

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Almost all the red lines posted here are like demanding everyone to hold hands and start singing All You Need is Love will cure cancer.

Or getting a baby grizzly for a pet and then complaining that it is trying to bite your head off.  

Or saying, 'if you jump down from 1oth floor correctly, everything would be fine'.

See where I am going with this?

I can see why you'd think that of the "durr no discrimination" line, but free flow of information and not trusting people who preach "nonviolence" seem pretty logical and doable to me.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

zarus tathra

I think grabbing guns is a no-go for me, now that I think of it. Carroll Quigley said that the reason the West developed democracy and the East did not was that the West had cheap, freely available guns and the East did not. The claptrap about how the West had Christian democratic leanings is pure bullshit in that light.

Shiranu

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I think grabbing guns is a no-go for me, now that I think of it. Carroll Quigley said that the reason the West developed democracy and the East did not was that the West had cheap, freely available guns and the East did not. The claptrap about how the West had Christian democratic leanings is pure bullshit in that light.

Them Greeks and their guns. Everyone knows Aristotle would put a cap in any foo's ass who crossed him. And the Roman Republic, which modern democracy is based on? Brute obviously was rocking a m16.

Also; it is believed that some of the Indian states from 6th century to 4th century B.C.E. were democratic.

Now, if you mean ADOPTED democracy, I think you might have a better argument. But if you mean developed democracy... yeah, tell me more about those guns the ancient Greeks and Indians were rocking, please. Even if you mean adopted I think it ignores a shit-ton of cultural and geographical reasons and is wrong... but you could at least make an argument for it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Almost all the red lines posted here are like demanding everyone to hold hands and start singing All You Need is Love will cure cancer.

Or getting a baby grizzly for a pet and then complaining that it is trying to bite your head off.  

Or saying, 'if you jump down from 1oth floor correctly, everything would be fine'.

See where I am going with this?
Are you saying some people have taken their eyes off the prize thinking, "Oh, isn't that to bad? Those poor people getting the shaft...." but at the same time reaping the benefits of shafting them?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

zarus tathra

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "zarus tathra"I think grabbing guns is a no-go for me, now that I think of it. Carroll Quigley said that the reason the West developed democracy and the East did not was that the West had cheap, freely available guns and the East did not. The claptrap about how the West had Christian democratic leanings is pure bullshit in that light.

Them Greeks and their guns. Everyone knows Aristotle would put a cap in any foo's ass who crossed him. And the Roman Republic, which modern democracy is based on? Brute obviously was rocking a m16.

Also; it is believed that some of the Indian states from 6th century to 4th century B.C.E. were democratic.

Now, if you mean ADOPTED democracy, I think you might have a better argument. But if you mean developed democracy... yeah, tell me more about those guns the ancient Greeks and Indians were rocking, please. Even if you mean adopted I think it ignores a shit-ton of cultural and geographical reasons and is wrong... but you could at least make an argument for it.

Okay, adopted democracy.

Basically, any large area in which the ability to sow destruction and impose real political pressure is evenly distributed.

AllPurposeAtheist

Want a red line? Imposition of theocratic nonsense and phoney morality. The rest seems a tad mild in comparison.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

zarus tathra

Declining literacy and numeracy standards.

mediumaevum

My "red line" is when people kick the worst off when they are already down.

Examples:

Being against social welfare.
Be in favor of military conscription.
Be in favor of the Death Penalty.
Be in favor of torture.