in your opinion, what's the best book you've ever read?

Started by the2ndcominofjebus, March 07, 2014, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm currently working on one titled The Secret Speech, crime fiction about a former Soviet MBG agent turned homicide investigator who wrestles with his past of ordering the murders of hundreds of innocent victims of Stalin's regime. Krushchev gives a speech only circulated in the public school system, but kept from the press denouncing Stalin and it threatens to expose all those involved with participating in Stalin's murderous reign including himself. His adopted daughters parents he ordered killed.  Pretty darn good book so far by Tom Rob Smith.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

DavidQuinn

I've recently read a book called 2082: The Chronicles Of Hope and though i wouldnt say its the best book i've read (it's not that polished) it's incredibly thought provoking. It's about an atheist revolutionary politician who is a bit of a working class genius. For the book think 1984 meets one flew over the cuckoo's nest, for the main character think george carlin meets charles darwin. It's been pushed by dawkins in the UK, worth checking out the first chapter for free here, it's got a speech on atheism that is genius - http://thechroniclesofhope.com/preview/

Savior2006

It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Savior2006

Quote from: DavidQuinn on March 22, 2014, 01:40:34 PM
I've recently read a book called 2082: The Chronicles Of Hope and though i wouldnt say its the best book i've read (it's not that polished) it's incredibly thought provoking. It's about an atheist revolutionary politician who is a bit of a working class genius. For the book think 1984 meets one flew over the cuckoo's nest, for the main character think george carlin meets charles darwin. It's been pushed by dawkins in the UK, worth checking out the first chapter for free here, it's got a speech on atheism that is genius - http://thechroniclesofhope.com/preview/

Seems like it could be a good read. I'll look into it. I've been submerged in the dreck that is CF (today I got to hear about how atheist presidents are bad because they don't believe rights come from God), and now I'd like to submerge myself back in this forum for a bit.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Jason78

The complete works of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.   It contains practically all the information you will ever need to know about Life the Universe and Everything.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

Durant's History of the World. I still haven't finished all of it in 20 years. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

I'm probably going to be made fun of for this, but The Phantom Tollbooth is still one of my favorite books even though I read it in the 3rd grade

Sent via your mom

renasimplified

ANIMORPHS! or if you are not a preteen, Emma by charlotte Bronte, War and Peace, Moby Dick, the Ender's gamer series.  I read it before it was a movie, and have almost every year since high school. He is a wonderful author. um, there's this war book called The Things They Carried by somename O'Brian. It was really good as far as I remember. If you are in a thespian mood, reading Shakespeare's plays would be fun!
AHHHH, I love books!

PickelledEggs

Actually I take back my phantom Tollbooth and replace it with Asimov's Nightfall

Sent via your mom

PickelledEggs

Quote from: renasimplified on April 20, 2014, 09:33:37 PM
ANIMORPHS! or if you are not a preteen, Emma by charlotte Bronte, War and Peace, Moby Dick, the Ender's gamer series.  I read it before it was a movie, and have almost every year since high school. He is a wonderful author. um, there's this war book called The Things They Carried by somename O'Brian. It was really good as far as I remember. If you are in a thespian mood, reading Shakespeare's plays would be fun!
AHHHH, I love books!
I remember Animorphs!

Sent via your mom

Hydra009

Pick any compilation of H.P. Lovecraft's work.  My personal favorites are Azathoth, The Silver Key, The Shadow Out Of TIme, and From Beyond.  Best read alone after midnight in dim light.

renasimplified

Hijiri Byakuren

Harry Turtledove's "Worldwar" series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. Titty sprinkles.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel