in your opinion, what's the best book you've ever read?

Started by the2ndcominofjebus, March 07, 2014, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the2ndcominofjebus

I'm looking for some new reading material. What is the greatest book you've ever read? If you say the bible, i'll hire mormons to stalk you. lol i stole the picture from someone here.
"If god doesn\'t like the way I live, let him tell me, not you."

"Give a man a fish, and you\'ll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he\'ll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Moralnihilist

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku
Iliad by Homer
Harry Potter books
Percy Jackson series
Dragonlance series
Absolutely Small by Michael D. Fayer, PhD
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Poison Tree

The Iliad is very good, but I didn't care for the Odyssey. I like War and Peace, more for the writing style then the plot, but the bits on Tolstoy's theory of history was also quite interesting, at least I thought so. Foul Matter is good if you like literary irony (knowing what the people in the book don't).
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

AllPurposeAtheist

Not the best,  but one of my favorite was Wish you well by David Baldacci.  Great book I enjoyed.  I bought a copy for my granddaughter. She loved it too.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse.
Operating Manual for Spaceship Earth by Buckminster Fuller

darsenfeld

Lord of the Flies.  We're as savage as any other species at heart (bad to say, but it's true...)
consistency is for dopes....

Youssuf Ramadan

Hey Jebus, are we talking fiction, non-fiction or both here?

Anyway... I guess I'll go for both.

Fiction:

Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres is great, as is his South American trilogy:  The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts, Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord, and The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman.

Ole Louis can really take you to another place.

Non Fiction:

Letter To A Christian Nation by Sam Harris
Phantoms in the Brain by V.S.Ramachandran
God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

the_antithesis

Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters and Seymour, an Introduction.

aitm

hmmmm,

I loved Lord of the Rings
HandMaids Tale is excellant story of religious fundamentalism in a somewhat futuristic US.
Daniel Boorstin's The Discoverers, is F-in awesome as well.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

+1 on The Handmaid's Tale. I was surprised by how good that book was.

Thumpalumpacus

The Sun Also Rises, The Stand, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, Guns Germs and Steel ....
<insert witty aphorism here>

AllPurposeAtheist

**runs immediately to library to check out every book mentioned here.. :-$
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mermaid

To Kill a Mockingbird has to be at the top of my list. Uncle Tom's Cabin is also way up there. I am currently reading what may work out to be in the top ten or so, The Goldfinch. I am only about a quarter of the way through it, but it's shaping up to be a classic
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Anything by Philip K. Dick, from "Ubik" (which people are still guessing about) to Bladerunner to We Can Build You.

Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine, including my all time favorite short story, "the Sound of Summer Running"