Noah film edited due to 'historical inaccuracies'

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, March 07, 2014, 04:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Hey, people are weird. There are people who are so into the "Harry Potter" universe that they criticized J.K. Rowling for not hooking up Hermione with Harry, and so on.

I used to know a guy that worshiped Thor the thunder god. Got all miffed because they wouldn't let him bring his sledge hammer to work. I think it had more to do with the fact he was like six four and weighed 300 pounds and was prone to violent outbursts.

I also knew a guy who called himself Fat Fred, the Friendly Faggot From Philly, but that's another story.  :biggrin:

Aletheia

I think we should encourage Christians to be ever on guard with maintaining that Biblical accounts be portrayed as historically accurate as possible in all present and future movies. With any luck, they'll fall into squabbling, leaving the next generation to roll their eyes and walk away. Nothing like giving the spotlight to the ignorant, inane, and downright stupid to make it perfectly clear that the common religion of the land is lacking in substance and wreaking of bullshit.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on March 28, 2014, 11:53:58 AM
Hey, people are weird. There are people who are so into the "Harry Potter" universe that they criticized J.K. Rowling for not hooking up Hermione with Harry, and so on.

As I understand it, she originally meant for that to happen. The two most powerful wizards of their generation combined as a team would be a tough act to follow.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Aletheia on March 28, 2014, 12:13:41 PM
I think we should encourage Christians to be ever on guard with maintaining that Biblical accounts be portrayed as historically accurate as possible in all present and future movies. With any luck, they'll fall into squabbling, leaving the next generation to roll their eyes and walk away. Nothing like giving the spotlight to the ignorant, inane, and downright stupid to make it perfectly clear that the common religion of the land is lacking in substance and wreaking of bullshit.

^this.

I once did a fun thing. I told a guy in conversation about a book that had a magic garden with a talking snake, a dude that lives inside a whale, another dude that built a giant boat that held millions of animals, talking donkeys, flying chariots, giants, a dragon, a dude that could walk on water and died for 3 days and then came back to life. He just about said "wow, that's stupid" and then realized I was talking about the Bible. Got all red and walked off.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on March 28, 2014, 12:24:35 PM
^this.

I once did a fun thing. I told a guy in conversation about a book that had a magic garden with a talking snake, a dude that lives inside a whale, another dude that built a giant boat that held millions of animals, talking donkeys, flying chariots, giants, a dragon, a dude that could walk on water and died for 3 days and then came back to life. He just about said "wow, that's stupid" and then realized I was talking about the Bible. Got all red and walked off.
He'd probably never read it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 28, 2014, 12:28:15 PM
He'd probably never read it.

That is actually true. I am probably unique in that I have read the bible through twice- once as a challenge in Mormon seminary, the 2nd time as a Christian. What I noticed is that you will gloss over different parts that are pointless- about 2/3rds of the book- and tend to focus on the doctrines you have been taught that are correct. So it had different meaning the 2nd time from the first. That was a big lesson. That is why any preacher can preach anything they want, because there is so much to cherry pick from.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on March 28, 2014, 12:32:33 PM
That is actually true. I am probably unique in that I have read the bible through twice- once as a challenge in Mormon seminary, the 2nd time as a Christian. What I noticed is that you will gloss over different parts that are pointless- about 2/3rds of the book- and tend to focus on the doctrines you have been taught that are correct. So it had different meaning the 2nd time from the first. That was a big lesson. That is why any preacher can preach anything they want, because there is so much to cherry pick from.
Jews have told me that the OT isn't for anybody but Jews anyway. The NT is pretty much a pissing contest between differing ideas of what should be considered "Christian". Together they produce a book most people wouldn't read if it wasn't necessary. Like Ivanhoe.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 28, 2014, 12:36:12 PM
Jews have told me that the OT isn't for anybody but Jews anyway. The NT is pretty much a pissing contest between differing ideas of what should be considered "Christian". Together they produce a book most people wouldn't read if it wasn't necessary. Like Ivanhoe.

Hey,watch it. I got a degree in English Lit. Ivanhoe is cool!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on March 28, 2014, 12:38:27 PM
Hey,watch it. I got a degree in English Lit. Ivanhoe is cool!
No Russians, no farming, dafuq?
PZ Myers

stromboli

I confess that my first introduction of Ivanhoe was an illustrated classic comic book. I was in puberty. You've got Rowena and Rebecca, blonde and brunette, constantly in peril of death/rape/mayhem, a disenfranchised and perpetually horny knight seeking some love, virgin knights, persecuted Jews and imminent threats of death, along with Robin Hood and storming castles and shit. To this day I still want to storm a castle. And I attribute my attraction to exotic Brunette women to Rebecca.

Savior2006

Quote from: stromboli on March 28, 2014, 11:53:58 AM

I shipped Harry with Luna cause I'm into weird chicks.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Plu

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on March 28, 2014, 12:50:09 PM
I confess that my first introduction of Ivanhoe was an illustrated classic comic book. I was in puberty. You've got Rowena and Rebecca, blonde and brunette, constantly in peril of death/rape/mayhem, a disenfranchised and perpetually horny knight seeking some love, virgin knights, persecuted Jews and imminent threats of death, along with Robin Hood and storming castles and shit. To this day I still want to storm a castle. And I attribute my attraction to exotic Brunette women to Rebecca.
I've never read it. It was coming up in my high school lit class, but I wrote a seven page review (two pages required)  of Stranger In A Strange Land and the teacher assigned that for reading instead.
PZ Myers

stromboli

Yeah. Stranger in a Strange Land still ranks as one of my favorites.

AllPurposeAtheist

** Still waiting for historically accurate account of rib being ripped out and "miraculously" growing into full grown woman.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.