The DSM V - why is it "wrong"?

Started by darsenfeld, March 06, 2014, 09:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darsenfeld

If the definition of mental illness is emotional distress or poor social functioning, then why is caffeine withdrawal or hording disorder "immoral"?

OK, so if a person feels low and cannot work/function by means of not binging on coffee, this is normal?   Or if a person stores item upon item until rats infest his or her house, and is distressed to remove them despite the health risk, this is healthy?

hmm..  OK, so long ago they "voted" to remove homosexuality from it.  Doesn't mean there cannot be a standard tool to diagnose conditions.  I think people like the fact it's ambiguous, it means they can persecute the ill, just like what happened long ago lol..   :lol:
consistency is for dopes....

Hijiri Byakuren

Psychology should be taken with a grain of salt when it's not accompanied by data from the physical sciences. The DSM is no different.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

darsenfeld

So how then is mental illness defined or diagnosed?  Guess work?

darsenfeld

And all current DSM conditions are based on research.  So NOOO research for schizphrenia, sociopathy, conduct disorder, hoarding disorder, speech disorders, PTSD, depression, bipolar disorder, etc.  got it..

I get the suspicion you're offended because it says drinking too much coffee is bad and can lead to withdrawal... er...  and?  This is LONGSTANDING medical fact..

Sal1981

Quote from: "darsenfeld"And all current DSM conditions are based on research.  So NOOO research for schizphrenia, sociopathy, conduct disorder, hoarding disorder, speech disorders, PTSD, depression, bipolar disorder, etc.  got it..

I get the suspicion you're offended because it says drinking too much coffee is bad and can lead to withdrawal... er...  and?  This is LONGSTANDING medical fact..
(emphasis mine)

You're full of shit, and you know it.

AllPurposeAtheist

darsenfeld, you're but merely one of the very tiny reasons I no longer take this life serious. I'd like to take it serious, but people like you just come along and fuck it all up.
Hording is a serious mental illness. I lived with an old woman in Texas who let hording destroy her life. My stepdaughter suffers from severe schizophrenia and you, I suspect suffer from consistent fullofshitism. I'm not sure that's an actual mental illness, but in your case I'd bet a months pay it is.  :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"darsenfeld, you're but merely one of the very tiny reasons I no longer take this life serious. I'd like to take it serious, but people like you just come along and fuck it all up.
Hording is a serious mental illness. I lived with an old woman in Texas who let hording destroy her life. My stepdaughter suffers from severe schizophrenia and you, I suspect suffer from consistent fullofshitism. I'm not sure that's an actual mental illness, but in your case I'd bet a months pay it is.  :roll:

Er.. the nazi sig guy said that the conditions were bogus.

I replied to say IMHO all meet criteria of abnormal behaviour, and the bulk of those remaining have been noted mental illnesses for decades.

Solitary

Hording is a serious mental illness that my youngest son has that is problematic.  And I have a nephew that is schizophrenic, that made my sisters life a living hell.  All mental illnesses have a bases in problems of the brain, and what is considered as mental illness are mere opinions based on behavior and not science if it isn't based on neurology and pharmacology. What is normal? A lot of people believe atheism is abnormal and a mental illness because it doesn't fit the norm of being religious. Albert Einstein, Shakespeare, Hawking, Bertrand Russell, and other creative geniuses aren't normal, and even had mental break downs, should they have been treated for mental illness? Being homosexual was once considered a mental illness based on behavior, as do many idiots now based on the Idiot's Bible, or those that are bigoted, because they aren't, and feel threaten by it.  Being so-called abnormal or different does not mean someone is insane. They may appear crazy, but are merely stupid, in some cases. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Solitary"Hording is a serious mental illness that my youngest son has that is problematic.  And I have a nephew that is schizophrenic, that made my sisters life a living hell.  All mental illnesses have a bases in problems of the brain, and what is considered as mental illness are mere opinions based on behavior and not science if it isn't based on neurology and pharmacology. What is normal? A lot of people believe atheism is abnormal and a mental illness because it doesn't fit the norm of being religious. Albert Einstein, Shakespeare, Hawking, Bertrand Russell, and other creative geniuses aren't normal, and even had mental break downs, should they have been treated for mental illness? Being homosexual was once considered a mental illness based on behavior, as do many idiots now based on the Idiot's Bible, or those that are bigoted, because they aren't, and feel threaten by it.  Being so-called abnormal or different does not mean someone is insane. They may appear crazy, but are merely stupid, in some cases. Solitary

OK, so you support wantonly sectioning away human beings, because the world is tough, got it....

But then atheism is not an illness merely on the beliefs of scientists, yet hydrogenated fats are bad on the basis of the "beliefs" of scientists.... lol..

Gawdzilla Sama

Have they put "religion" in the "Delusional behaviour" category yet?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"Have they put "religion" in the "Delusional behaviour" category yet?
Not yet, but in many bookstores, religious books are placed with or near the scifi/fantasy section.  :P

Moriarty

<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"Have they put "religion" in the "Delusional behaviour" category yet?
Darsenfeld could stand to be cordoned off there.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Don't we have the Enter the Darkness section for that?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato