Who is to say the Earth and humanity are not set up?

Started by darsenfeld, March 06, 2014, 09:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "the_antithesis"This is stupid.
The OP? I agree.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Description of Reality is subjective.  

FIFY

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"

FIFY
"Fix" implies improvement. So you failed. But you do seem to be a master of fauxlosophy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"

FIFY
"Fix" implies improvement. So you failed. But you do seem to be a master of fauxlosophy.

Care to elaborate.

Solitary

And to the guy who mocks philosophy, yeah...  it took evil philosophy to devise atheism.  evil philosophy to devise science.  and evil philosophy to lead to the modern world, with our cherished liberal democracy, systems of rights, etc. and the foundation of his own country (if he's American).  Jefferson and Franklin and co. based your society on the works of "inept" philosophers...  realise phiosophy is not meant to be a science but a thought experiment.  and damn fucking useful one at that...[/quote]

That is called poisoning the well in logic by using evil, inept, and all the rest are non sequiturs in logic. Another word for what you do is slick maneuvers that is common among neurotics that want to win at any cost, and don't know how to think rationally. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Care to elaborate.
Why?
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Why?

According to you, I'm  a master of fauxlosophy. WTF is that?

Gawdzilla Sama

Why?

According to you, I'm  a master of fauxlosophy. WTF is that?
Oh, I see. Thanks, I was wonder what prompted that demand.
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"According to you, I'm  a master of fauxlosophy. WTF is that?

I'm still wondering why I'm the master of  fauxlosophy?!??! Oh well, forget it. I will wear it as a badge of honor.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"According to you, I'm  a master of fauxlosophy. WTF is that?

I'm still wondering why I'm the master of  fauxlosophy?!??! Oh well, forget it. I will wear it as a badge of honor.
Actually, I was speaking to the OP. Sorry for the mix up.
PZ Myers

darsenfeld

eh?  I don't care again.

You all mocked philosophy, not saying I'm offended as I seldom get that way, but then..meh, don't care.  just responded to say philosophy has contributed a lot, despite that guy mocking it....
consistency is for dopes....

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Solitary"And to the guy who mocks philosophy, yeah...  it took evil philosophy to devise atheism.  evil philosophy to devise science.  and evil philosophy to lead to the modern world, with our cherished liberal democracy, systems of rights, etc. and the foundation of his own country (if he's American).  Jefferson and Franklin and co. based your society on the works of "inept" philosophers...  realise phiosophy is not meant to be a science but a thought experiment.  and damn fucking useful one at that...

That is called poisoning the well in logic by using evil, inept, and all the rest are non sequiturs in logic. Another word for what you do is slick maneuvers that is common among neurotics that want to win at any cost, and don't know how to think rationally. Solitary[/quote]

lol.. pardon me?

I just responded to his point, which IMHO was silly.  I was also being sarcastic, but if you don't care about philosophy, fine.  I find it intriguing, but meh, not my issue what you all think...

just thought as this is the philosophy forum, i'll make a philosophical point, but meh, apparently it's not (when you all discuss moral philosophy/ethics..hmmm..again i don't care...)
consistency is for dopes....

the2ndcominofjebus

it does take some effort to agree that the world came through chance. But then you look at the child prostitution epidemic,etc... and you know there isn't a plan for us. The bible says creation is evident, maybe we're all doomed? lol. it does seem odd that everything worked out so perfectly, but if there are truly all of these dimensions, maybe the chance of what happen to us isn't so extreme? lol i dont know. It's a confusing time and we won't know until we're dead.. or we won't know. lol
"If god doesn\'t like the way I live, let him tell me, not you."

"Give a man a fish, and you\'ll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he\'ll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "darsenfeld"eh?  I don't care again.

You all mocked philosophy, not saying I'm offended as I seldom get that way, but then..meh, don't care.  just responded to say philosophy has contributed a lot, despite that guy mocking it....
Yeah, but most fauxlosophy is just a waste of good beer. For example, you.
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "darsenfeld"eh?  I don't care again.

Really?

Your flawed logic has been demonstrated several times by now. You're about the last in credibility to talk about philosophy.