News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What yields respect?

Started by PickelledEggs, March 04, 2014, 01:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

My questions are:
Is there a universal set of credentials for respect?

Is there a general outline or something for how the credentials for respect are made?

Is self respect a factor in how someone respects someone else?

I think there are more questions, but I'm drawing a blank.

Thumpalumpacus

I think the conditions for giving respect are pretty subjective.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Shol'va

^ I agree, not to mention "respect" has many different aspects. My wife may think I'm worthless and I could still be a highly respected individual at my work place.
People also tend to respect different things. Some respect intellect, others respect a closed fist.

PickelledEggs

I figured as much, that its probably extremely subjective.

I guess though,  is there an underlying thing that makes someone decide how they come up with their standards for respect?

i.e. it through personal experience? is it just hardwired in to our brains?

Obviously no 2 people have the same standards for respect, but is there something that underlies it that causes everyone to come up with those standards no matter how different or alike the standards are?

stromboli

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"I think the conditions for giving respect are pretty subjective.

^this.

AllPurposeAtheist

Respect is an overused term for sure. Most people believe they're deserving of it merely for being alive, but truth be told it's an earned commodity that can be lost much faster than earned and it is earned regardless of whatever is respected.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Respect is an overused term for sure. Most people believe they're deserving of it merely for being alive, but truth be told it's an earned commodity that can be lost much faster than earned and it is earned regardless of whatever is respected.
Yeah. usually when someone says "his [blank] commands respect" or  "he commands respect" i usually think and say to myself: "no. he's an asshole"

camouflage

I concur with the view expressed by everyone else.

Who I respect?
Why I respect them?

If I answer these 2 questions for myself, I get my own idea of respect worthy people and thereby respect. The answers to these questions change with experience (external) and your own morals (internal). And this is again dependent on the the environment you operate in. So generally speaking your environment has a tremendous impact on your standards of respect.

This is what makes the concept of respect very subjective. Because experience, morals and environment differs from person to person.

I don't think self respect has any impact on the standards of respect. I think its the other way round. Your idea of respect impacts your standards of self respect.

Edit: I think parental influence also plays substantial role. But that gets covered in environment.
Using Tapatalk

SilentFutility

Never mind the fact that respect means different things to different people and is actually a rather vague in that really it means to hold something or someone in high-esteem.

Plu

Yeah it would probably be impossible to even properly define what the word respect means.

darsenfeld

Respect is earned, not given away.
consistency is for dopes....

Shol'va

So you treat everyone else like an asshole by default?

darsenfeld

No, there are levels of respect.
consistency is for dopes....

Shol'va

How many and how would you rank them?

Plu

There is such a thing as negative respect I think. The baseline is indifference, but in order to be treated like an asshole you really need to work at collecting negative respect.