Would Atheists support welfare? Why?

Started by mediumaevum, March 02, 2014, 02:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Quote from: "mediumaevum"Evolutionism is a natural consequence of Atheism.
All Atheists should be evolutionists, according to Atheism, saying there is no God but Evolution.
So people who say there is no god declared Evolution to be a god? Damn, you must have been the runt of your litter.

Damn, writing too fast, and my English gets poor... Sorry again:

There is no God, only evolution.

Edited again.

Moriarty

By your own thinking though, man could wipe out every form of life on the planet because it is weaker. We have the nukes to be sure~ We don't because every life form on the planet serves a purpose......either as food or a tool.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "Moriarty"By your own thinking though, man could wipe out every form of life on the planet because it is weaker. We have the nukes to be sure~ We don't because every life form on the planet serves a purpose......either as food or a tool.

Except those that serves only the purpose of their very existence, that people are happy to have them living.

Moriarty

Quote from: "mediumaevum"
Quote from: "Moriarty"By your own thinking though, man could wipe out every form of life on the planet because it is weaker. We have the nukes to be sure~ We don't because every life form on the planet serves a purpose......either as food or a tool.

Except those that serves only the purpose of their very existence, that people are happy to have them living.

And you don't think the strong humans are happy for the existence of poorer, less strong humans? They serve a purpose. Where would humanity have gotten without slave states? Not that I justify it.  

Your line of thinking would lead to a last man standing end to the species.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Either we have to throw away compassion, to preserve the Human specie, or, if we choose compassion, humanity should be faced with certain extinction.

This argument is a non sequitur. The evidence says compassion is a product of evolution. I suggest you look into reciprocity which most likely often bestowed an advantage in the evolutionary survival of our species.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

Darwinism is a model for species evolution, change, die out and survival. It has nothing to do with the moral issue of the human capacity for caring.

That said, without doing any research, I know for a fact there is evidence of species other than human caring for their own kind. Elephants will stand guard over sick or wounded herd mates to protect them. Primates have shown the capacity for empathy and compassion. But to equate that to a Darwinian model is a false application.

Moriarty

Quote from: "stromboli"Darwinism is a model for species evolution, change, die out and survival. It has nothing to do with the moral issue of the human capacity for caring.

That said, without doing any research, I know for a fact there is evidence of species other than human caring for their own kind. Elephants will stand guard over sick or wounded herd mates to protect them. Primates have shown the capacity for empathy and compassion. But to equate that to a Darwinian model is a false application.

Oddly enough I have seen plenty examples of one species taking care of another in the same manner, even ones that tend to be predatory in nature against the one they're protecting.
[youtube:1j67ujqy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owe6_vd9paU[/youtube:1j67ujqy]
<Insert witty remark>

mediumaevum

Quote from: "stromboli"Darwinism is a model for species evolution, change, die out and survival. It has nothing to do with the moral issue of the human capacity for caring.

Thanks for the answer, which I am satisfied with.

Shiranu

Darwinian Evolution =/= Social Darwinism. I thought in 2014 this would be common knowledge.

Ethics are a part of the majority of human (and primate and various other animal's) wiring; we are social creatures thanks to Darwinian evolution. So when you ask why do we care for our weaker links when that is contradictory to Social Darwinism (which you mistake for Dar. Evo.), you are asking why does Darwinian Evolution run contrary to Social Darwinism... and the simple answer is that Social Dar. was developed so that the powerful could make excuses for abusing their power and has nothing to do with the scientific theory of evolution.

It is just a more modern manifestation of divine right... twisting a completely unrelated field of science (stretching that term, since religion use to be considered science) into an excuse to abuse your power.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

Economic circumstances have little or nothing to do with genetics. Selective pressure is about heritable traits, so this question doesn't make any sense.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

The Skeletal Atheist

Because I'm not a massive douchebag and I realize that people occasionally need help due to circumstances beyond their control.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

the_antithesis

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Give me some reasons why Atheists should support welfare, given Darwinian evolution says that those unfit to live, should die off.

Because we are human beings and have empathy for other human beings and because we are not so morally bankrupt that we need the promise of reward or the threat of punishment to be nice to others.

Moralnihilist

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "mediumaevum"Give me some reasons why Atheists should support welfare, given Darwinian evolution says that those unfit to live, should die off.

Because we are human beings and have empathy for other human beings and because we are not so morally bankrupt that we need the promise of reward or the threat of punishment to be nice to others.

Yep
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

aileron

Quote from: "mediumaevum"... given Darwinian evolution says that those unfit to live, should die off.

Should?  Evolution doesn't make subjective determinations about what should happen.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

So medium if I drop over to your house and put a bullet in your head because I feel like it, perhaps I just want your shit everyone should sit pacively by and say, "Well that's darwinian evolution for you."
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.