News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

We are all made of stars...

Started by TheThinker, February 28, 2014, 05:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheThinker

Hello ! Just a (naive ?) question here :

I've read that the atoms that are now in our body were originally formed inside stars that exploded, and by doing that the same atoms were "enabled" to "make" us.
Looking at the night sky, one sees thousands of stars, that are no longer really there, since their light reaches us now, but they can be millions of light years away from us.

So, could it be that we can actually see the light of a star that no longer exists, but contained atoms that are now parts of our bodies ? In other words : Can we still "see" where parts of us came from ?

Thanks !
"There are no transcending forces, nor do planets influence our lives; there is no One Truth, and no supernatural source of morality. And as your zodiac sign is determined by WHEN your parents fucked, so is religion a matter of WHERE they fucked !"
Me

//http://cranden.blogspot.com
//http://www.facebook.com/crandenblog

Plu

Nope. Since the atoms cannot travel faster than light, they can't get here before the visual information that the star has died. Or at least, that's what I'd think. Since common sense doesn't apply in physics maybe one of our more informed physics people has a different story :P

Also:
http://zenpencils.com/comic/42-neil-deg ... ding-fact/

Because I still like promoting this guy  8-)

Shiranu

That's actually a pretty cool concept, though like Plu said it doesn't seem to work unless (like alot of physics) it goes all sorts of crazy.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Moriarty

Quote from: "Plu"Nope. Since the atoms cannot travel faster than light, they can't get here before the visual information that the star has died. Or at least, that's what I'd think. Since common sense doesn't apply in physics maybe one of our more informed physics people has a different story :P

Also:
http://zenpencils.com/comic/42-neil-deg ... ding-fact/

Because I still like promoting this guy  8-)

I like Neil but I still like Mikio too and even Amy Mainzer who has the additional advantage of being rather cute~

The other problem with the question is that those atoms/elements came from 1st and 2nd generation stars that only burned for millions/hundreds of millions of years over 13 billion years ago before going super nova. Not certain on how far the WMAP (13.5 billion yrs I think it was.) goes but it's borderline to those so I doubt the light would still be visible even if it were still around.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Hijiri Byakuren

We are also made of something that is big and went bang. :)
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"We are also made of something that is big and went bang. :)
Hey now this is a family board! Cool your jets pal!
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"We are also made of something that is big and went bang. :)
Hey now this is a family board! Cool your jets pal!
Get your brain out of the gutter before it gathers sludge. :P
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

Well I'll say it. I'm made from lust! Dirty,  filthy,  disgusting lust. My mom and dad did the horizontal dance and 9 months later my mom cussed me out of her body and probably cussed my dad too.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Atheon

The star(s) that exploded to form the solar system (after the remnants collided with a molecular cloud of hydrogen and triggered its collapse) did so about 5 billion years ago, but only in our immediate stellar neighborhood (likely less than 50 light years away). Also, most of the individual stars we can see with our naked eye are only in the range of about 4 light years to a few thousand light years away.

And in any case, light from stars travels at the speed of light, while matter ejected from an exploding star travels slower than that.

So as cool as the idea my be, the answer is "No, we can't see the stars that made us." However, there are apparently remains of the original stellar cloud that are still detectable... but I'd have to google it and I don't have the time right now.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

stromboli

Every time I flush the toilet I'm going to remind myself that I'm made from stars.

TheThinker

"There are no transcending forces, nor do planets influence our lives; there is no One Truth, and no supernatural source of morality. And as your zodiac sign is determined by WHEN your parents fucked, so is religion a matter of WHERE they fucked !"
Me

//http://cranden.blogspot.com
//http://www.facebook.com/crandenblog

SGOS

I haven't read all the responses, but here is my take.  Yes, I think we are made of stars.  The first and only elements created in the big bang were hydrogen and helium.  The rest of the elements could only form in the core of stars where sufficiently large amounts of heat and energy were available to create the rest of the periodic table.  At least this is the limit of what I know from only one source than I have read.

It's not like these far flung stars are flinging new atoms through the universe and constantly restocking our supply of atoms necessary for life.  But they were formed in the stars.  Those atoms we currently use have been around for longer than the time it takes light to travel from the farthest reaches of the universe.  I presume those atoms we use are from a time when things weren't so far away.  Obviously they can't be older than 13.8 billion years, but they don't need to be.  All that is necessary is that we are lucky enough to have a small amount from ancient nearby stars.

Edit:  I should not have said newer atoms have been around for longer than the time it takes light to reach us from the farthest points of the universe.  That would be impossible, of course.  But the rest of the argument should still make sense.  Well, at least to me.

SGOS

Quote from: "Atheon"The star(s) that exploded to form the solar system (after the remnants collided with a molecular cloud of hydrogen and triggered its collapse) did so about 5 billion years ago, but only in our immediate stellar neighborhood (likely less than 50 light years away). Also, most of the individual stars we can see with our naked eye are only in the range of about 4 light years to a few thousand light years away.

And in any case, light from stars travels at the speed of light, while matter ejected from an exploding star travels slower than that.

So as cool as the idea my be, the answer is "No, we can't see the stars that made us." However, there are apparently remains of the original stellar cloud that are still detectable... but I'd have to google it and I don't have the time right now.
Had I read all the responses before I posted, I would have just pointed to this post and saved some time.

Deidre32

This is very intriguing!  Going with this, why aren't more planets similar to earth, then? Why would our planet only be able to sustain human life? Seeing that this wasn't an ''ordered'' but rather random occurence. Not sure if my question makes sense?  :-k
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Moriarty

Quote from: "Deidre32"This is very intriguing!  Going with this, why aren't more planets similar to earth, then? Why would our planet only be able to sustain human life? Seeing that this wasn't an ''ordered'' but rather random occurence. Not sure if my question makes sense?  :-k

Dee, they have found rocky planets in the Universe like Earth, most have been bigger and determining the makeup is a little difficult at this time but it will happen eventually. The count on planets discovered outside our own solar system is well over 2,000 now. Most are like Jupiter and Saturn but only because they're larger and easier to find than those like Earth. Looking for Earth like planets is looking for one particular needle in a stack of needles inside a crate of needles. :P

As I stated earlier the existence of life elsewhere goes beyond the drake equation and now also includes a planets place in a stable region of a galaxy, a stabilizing moon and even tectonic activity or so the theory now goes.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.