News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Can't They Get Anything Right?

Started by Solitary, February 28, 2014, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

QuoteThe Boston Tea Party
In 1773 a group of around 40-50 early American patriots stormed onto the three tea ships which were waiting in Boston Harbor, and dumped 343 chests of tea into the sea in protest.
This iconic 'tea party' is today associated with the tax-cutting Republican right wing, which is ironic in that the Boston Tea Party was incited not by a tax increase, but by a massive tax cut.

The protest was a response to Britain's 1773 Tea Act, which effectively cut the tax on tea coming
from 12 pence per pound to just 3 pence per pound.

So why were the patriots so outraged by a tax cut? The answer is that the Boston Tea Party was not about the level of taxes at all, but about Britain's right to levy them.
:roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

History revisionists. ? It's public perception.  Tell a big enough lie wrapped in a little bit of truth...  Even Hitler knew that.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Leave it to tea baggers the Crimean war will have been about taxes.. :rollin:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

darsenfeld

US conservatives are dim/ill anyhow.  no healthy person can be so rigid, uptight and stolid.
consistency is for dopes....

Gawdzilla Sama

The Tea Scrotums I know would have never heard about the Boston Tea Party, they slept through most of their schooling. So any information they get from Fux News would be "the history you don't know yet."

And yes, as a professional historian that makes me gag.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

The Tea Scrotums I know would have never heard about the Boston Tea Party, they slept through most of their schooling. So any information they get from Fux News would be "the history you don't know yet."

And yes, as a professional historian that makes me gag.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers