Started by atheist_in_a_foxhole, February 27, 2014, 01:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atheist_in_a_foxhole

//https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNQ_xfOzlU

Here is a longer one

//https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y-Rphi4e68

It makes me sick to see this kind of stuff. Brainwashing at its highest

darsenfeld

I don't think it's our place to change their morals.
consistency is for dopes....

Shol'va

If it deals with human suffering, and it does, I do. Moral relativism is bullshit when it comes to some basic human rights.

darsenfeld

bullshit that most contemporary Westeners strongly endorse.. OK.  

so if all morals are subjective, then it figures anything goes under the sun..

Solitary

Quote from: "darsenfeld"bullshit that most contemporary Westeners strongly endorse.. OK.  

How so?  Morality is a subjective knowing of what you don't want done to you shouldn't be done to others, unless you are a psychopath or idiot that doesn't have feelings of empathy, compassion, or know right from wrong.

QuoteI got fascinated with the human-conjured subjective stabs at what people in different cities and nations and cultures thought was "moral" during the first 18 years of my life in which we electively moved frequently as a U.S. Army family and lived in numerous distinctly different cultures and clustering's of people. I saw quite clearly that what people think is "moral" varies from culture to culture, including all gender roles and their associated subjective rules "moralities". Yet, beneath their acculturations I also observed universal moralities or what we all tend to recognize as "goodness" and I am very interested in them, those common "default" human moralities. They are few and elusive.

Our natural  sense of right and wrong and wonder that we are all born with has long been perverted, corrupted and shanghaied by shamans, Popes and rulers for thousands of years in their animal husbandry of us and maintenance of ignorance and fear to keep us weak and unable to overthrow them. Morality as we have commonly perceived it is objective and is a component of magical-thinking and conforms to Master / Slave moralities in which the subjugated are brainwashed to believe that what is "moral" is whatever makes them worshipful, obedient, non-threatening good workers, slaves, and servants.

Subjective morality is the means to answer this question: "If the fittest survive, what are we evolving to be fit FOR?" What are ALL species of Life evolving TOWARD? By perceiving morality as beliefs and behaviors that lead to good health and potential, prosperity and harmony we can objectify morality, objectify our beliefs and behaviors about what is "right" and "wrong". What is "right" leads to thriving good health. What is "wrong" leads ultimately to social disease and failed societies.

For example, slaughtering 45,000 men in blood sacrifice to the gods after a battle in the Central Americas long ago may have seemed righteous and moral to the primitive people who were ignorant and fearful of their shamans and rulers and had suppressed or lost their own spiritual self-determination. But, ultimately that "spiritual" morality of resorting to human sacrifice usually dooms a civilization in a few years, as what happened at Choco in New Mexico and hence the birth of the Pueblo native American culture formed by people falling away in droves from Choco's leaders' religious decline into the madness of subjective morality and gruesome magical-thinking.

Another example: It was once objectively moral to burn people, especially women, at the stake for conjuring demons and putting spells on villages that caused illness. On the other hand, it is subjectively moral to remain rational and rise above ignorance and fear and learn that pouring human waste into drinking water sources is what actually causes illness in those villages.  Whatever we are evolving to be fit FOR includes the natural subjective morality of compassion, as an example. I seek those moralities and truths that we can ALL agree to subjectively no matter what culture we come from, our default common human moralities that unite us rather than divide us objectively.
Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "darsenfeld"bullshit that most contemporary Westeners strongly endorse.. OK.  

Quite a leap in logic. No, if morals are subjective - and they are as human constructs, meaning, we, humans, invented them - then they can certainly be enforced by us, humans. So the idea that "anything goes under the sun" is an invalid conclusion.

darsenfeld

lolwut?  

I believe in morals, yet think they're silly.  And this is coming from people who endorse bullying, endorse slavery, and then  talk of humanity?  lol..  

Morals are for chumps, who cares?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "darsenfeld"lolwut?  

I believe in morals, yet think they're silly.  And this is coming from people who endorse bullying, endorse slavery, and then  talk of humanity?  lol..  

It's not a question of IF you believe in morals or not, nor whether you consider them silly, it's a question that society needs rules that everyone will abide to in order for society to survive, function and thrive.

darsenfeld

says who?  anything goes in life and this universe...

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "darsenfeld"says who?  anything goes in life and this universe...

Anything goes? Go ahead. Do whatever fancies you. We'll see how long you will live. LOL.

Solitary

You think morality only comes from religion? "Who cares?" Are you insane or just stupid?  :roll:  Solitary

Moralnihilist

Quote from: "Solitary"

You think morality only comes from religion? "Who cares?" Are you insane or just stupid?  :roll:  Solitary

It is my theory that he is indeed stupid.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

darsenfeld

OK, but if morals are subjective (as most in our culture believe these days) then it figures our belief is no better than the Ugandans. 

And if we use force, then might doesn't necessarily make right.  If a robber attacks you, doesn't mean s/he is justified inherently, does it?

Solitary

So you think all morality and ethics is the same and makes no difference? There's no difference between right and wrong, what are you, an android, or a Borg? What age are you? Solitary