News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Letting Go of God

Started by Insult to Rocks, January 18, 2014, 12:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insult to Rocks

Don't know if you guys have heard it or not, but Julia Sweeney has a routine called "Letting Go of God" that's really hilarious yet heartwarming at the same time. Here's a link:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3-DpSn7AA
And if you have heard it already, listen to it again. It's only 2 hours, and it's really funny. :popcorn:
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

SGOS

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Don't know if you guys have heard it or not, but Julia Sweeney has a routine called "Letting Go of God" that's really hilarious yet heartwarming at the same time. Here's a link:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3-DpSn7AA
And if you have heard it already, listen to it again. It's only 2 hours, and it's really funny. :popcorn:
I actually bought her CD, and then I went and bought her DVD so I could see her perform the show.  I thought she was funny as heck on SNL.  Then it turns out she's an atheist, although a soft spoken and charming atheist, and still funny.  Quite impressive the way she tells her story.  She doesn't get a lot of media coverage, but I consider her an asset in advancing informal logic.

Aroura33

Listening to her routine back in 2003 (on an actual casette) is about 50% of how I became an atheist.  I seriously recommend this to everyone.  Plus, it IS funny as well.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

stromboli

Yeah, I like Sweeney. I didn't let go of god. I kicked him across the parking lot.

Indiscriminalist

Her bit was very influential in my wife's deconversion. I've listened to it and loved it both times. I even have the PDF of the show transcribed and like to read it once in a while. Her stories from bible class are epic as she keeps going back to the priest as the book becomes more and more ridiculous.
What if you're wrong about the great juju at the bottom of the sea?

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: "aitm"2 hours?  eh....sure
It's a one person stage performance that I think she may have done a tour with.  It had been playing in Los Angles for a number of years when I heard about it.  She also did a few free performances as money raising events for various atheist organizations.  It was not some epic thing like Broadway Cats or Chicago, but it did well enough, and was something she wanted to do.  I've been to a few expensive Broadway plays in Chicago, some of which were not as good.

SGOS

I got out my DVD of Letting Go of God and watched it again last night, probably for about the 4th time.  Out of my collection of 5 to 10 atheist DVDs, it's my favorite.  She just describes her journey, to which I relate.  There's not a lot of facts and arguments designed to convince or sway.  It's just something many atheists, especially those who were former Christians will understand.