News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

GODZILLA!

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, February 26, 2014, 08:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

I'll never understand why people hated the '99 so much. Is it because it wasn't a guy in a foam rubber suit?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

darsenfeld

no, it was poorly acted and poorly directed.  you know, it's called an opinion...  :-D
consistency is for dopes....

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"I'll never understand why people hated the '99 so much. Is it because it wasn't a guy in a foam rubber suit?
Because Godzilla is not a Roland Emerich disaster movie plot device. Godzilla is best known for fighting other monsters in B movies that embrace their own corniness, but the 1998 film takes itself seriously, and people forget that the first Godzilla movie was a serious film with a serious message. Godzilla is the atomic bomb. He is terrible, unstoppable, causes firestorms from the sheer heat of his atomic blasts, and leaves uninhabitable nuclear wastelands in his wake. The only thing that can kill him is a weapon so much more terrible that the scientist who invented it killed himself to prevent it ever being used again. Any serious remake that doesn't pay tribute to that is just a slap in the face to the fans: We did not come to a film called "Godzilla" to see a disaster movie.

That isn't to say it's not an okay film on its own merits. But it isn't Godzilla.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

The best version is "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" with Raymond Burr. Quite simply a stellar performance by a consummate actor. Also my first introduction to breathless and terrified Japanese women. I daresay it had a huge impact on my young mind.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "stromboli"The best version is "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" with Raymond Burr. Quite simply a stellar performance by a consummate actor. Also my first introduction to breathless and terrified Japanese women. I daresay it had a huge impact on my young mind.
I thought adding Raymond Burr was a distraction from the movie. It was painfully obvious he was "bolted on" to help Americans understand it.

But there is good news.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "darsenfeld"no, it was poorly acted and poorly directed.  you know, it's called an opinion...  :-D
You are in entitled to my opinion.  :)
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Quote from: "stromboli"The best version is "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" with Raymond Burr. Quite simply a stellar performance by a consummate actor. Also my first introduction to breathless and terrified Japanese women. I daresay it had a huge impact on my young mind.
I thought adding Raymond Burr was a distraction from the movie. It was painfully obvious he was "bolted on" to help Americans understand it.
I actually meant that sarcastically.  :-D

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"I thought adding Raymond Burr was a distraction from the movie. It was painfully obvious he was "bolted on" to help Americans understand it.
Quote from: "stromboli"I actually meant that sarcastically.  :-D
I literally missed that.  :wink:
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers