"Scientist claim that consciousnes goes to another universe"

Started by PickelledEggs, February 25, 2014, 04:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

This has been floating around facebook lately.
//http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics.com/scientists-claim-that-quantum-theory-proves-consciousness-moves-to-another-universe-at-death/

It sounds like B.S. to me.

Although, in fairness, I'm not a scientist doing these alleged tests.

Even still.... He pronounces particle "poticle" and chipmunk "chickmunk" ... This article sounds a bit hocus pocus to me.

Hijiri Byakuren

The website is called "Spirit, Science, and Metaphysics," and two of those words are red flags telling you that someone is full of shit.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

You want red flags?  There's plenty more in the article, too many to bother listing them all.

The article presents the concept of multiple universes, which is supported by other scientists.  It then makes a big leap and takes the liberty to imply that these other scientists therefore support the rest of this guy's extraordinary claims.  It ends up sounding like the scientific community is jumping on board for fear of being left in the station of sanity.  It's a wonderful exercise in critical reading.  It makes an excellent case for scientists keeping science out of the hands of idiot journalists who can never seem to understand what's going on.

I like the part about consciousness being like a TV cable from outside the universe.  You may die, but the signal is still there, and eventually get's plugged into your new body in a different universe.  This goes on for eternity.

Also, our universe is apparently fine tuned for life, which could only happen through design.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"The website is called "Spirit, Science, and Metaphysics," and two of those words are red flags telling you that someone is full of shit.
I already knew those were red flags. I saw the word scientist in the title of the article and while this guy may or may not be a scientist... I have yet to hear or read any science talk that's not run-around spiritual mumbo jumbo.

Putting the word scientist in the title was very misleading. And now there are all these spiritual nuts going around saying things like "this is brilliant" or "science is beautiful. see? it proves spirituality"....and the article is just a mash of big words that don't say anything

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Elect

It's kind of funny that most people are so unfamiliar with how a researcher uses science to test claims that extra dimensional soul portals seem like something that could reasonably happen. "It was a normal Thursday, I was just putting shit in centrifuges and setting fire to it, when I discovered that our physical world operates in much the same way Wile e Coyote's does."

Jason78

QuoteScientists claim that quantum theory proves consciousness moves to another universe at death

No they don't.  Some idiot that wrote an article claims they do.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"These kind of 'articles' are so easy to come by because this is part of a wider scale trend that has occurred roughly a few decades ago and gradually grew into some sub culture and a belief which by itself should be a solid anthroplogical evidence how religions get to be made up by themselves without any real help.
Soon as my next Audible credit comes up I'm getting Daniel Dennett's book, "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon," to hopefully learn a little more about how that works.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"In short there is a strong demand and supply with this situation. :cry:
Quantum mechanics is so difficult to comprehend.  It defies what we know about what happens on a larger scale.  It seems to defy what we understand about physics.  It's so mysterious that it actually sounds a little whacky.

Of course it's going to attract religious thinkers.  It's a perfect vehicle, especially to those of the new age variety, who are desperately interested in bringing their bullshit "up to speed" in the 21st Century.  It's a perfect opportunity to blend scientific inquiry with a tin foil hat to divine the unknown.

Hydra009

Quote from: "SGOS"You want red flags?  There's plenty more in the article, too many to bother listing them all.
The url itself is a pretty big red flag.  "Science and metaphysics" might as well read science and witchcraft.  Or science and creationism.

Solitary

QuoteLanza is an expert in regenerative medicine and scientific director of Advanced Cell Technology Company. Before he has been known for his extensive research which dealt with stem cells, he was also famous for several successful experiments on cloning endangered animal species. - See more at: http://www.spiritscienceandmetaphysics. ... vqCtM.dpuf

This is a very good reason why experts in one field need to stay out of other fields they are not. He obviously isn't a neuroscientist, or understands quantum mechanics (no body does.), and is delusional by taking a leap of faith.  :roll:  #-o Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh now you all are acting as if the woo is just imaginary, but if not for woo there would be no woo-hoo!  [-X  There might still be chocolate milk called yoohoo, but no woo-hoo.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Elect

the animal might be endangered Universe#1, but not in Universe #2 it might be abundant. The experiment was not so much to actually clone an animal, as it was talking the lab assistant in to "transcending" herself and then report back with a baby panda.