News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Japan nuked the US in WWII?

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, February 25, 2014, 02:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
QuoteHoly Shit!  It makes me wonder how much of an illusion we all live under.  I can understand why India might not know who nuked who.  Their attention would probably be on other things besides that.  But the Russian perspective on WWII, given their intense, and I mean INTENSE involvement is comical.  D Day was kind of a big deal to us.  The siege of [s:fq8wrkkv]Leningrad[/s:fq8wrkkv] Stalingrad was no doubt bigger deal for them, while it's just something we learn about here almost in passing.

FIFY

8-)
Leningrad was 900 days and about 850,000 people died on the Soviet side.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
QuoteHoly Shit!  It makes me wonder how much of an illusion we all live under.  I can understand why India might not know who nuked who.  Their attention would probably be on other things besides that.  But the Russian perspective on WWII, given their intense, and I mean INTENSE involvement is comical.  D Day was kind of a big deal to us.  The siege of [s:34cln0sx]Leningrad[/s:34cln0sx] Stalingrad was no doubt bigger deal for them, while it's just something we learn about here almost in passing.

FIFY

8-)
Leningrad was 900 days and about 850,000 people died on the Soviet side.

Stalingrad: lasted 5 months, 1 week and 3 days.

Approx. 1,120,000 killed, missing or wounded on the Russian side.

850,000 killed, missing or wounded on the German side.

More importantly, WW2 casualties of the Soviet Union from all related causes were over 20 millions both civilians and military, compared about 1 million on the American side, it is a big deal in Russia.

SilentFutility

You laugh but when two close friends first moved to Europe from America they thought that Pearl Harbour was an attack by the Americans on the Japanese mainland and that it ended WW2...

Unfortunately lack of education rears its head all over the place.  :-|

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Stalingrad: lasted 5 months, 1 week and 3 days.

The number I quoted was civilians only.
QuoteMore importantly, WW2 casualties of the Soviet Union from all related causes were over 20 millions both civilians and military, compared about 1 million on the American side, it is a big deal in Russia.

When you have two dictators butting heads things get crappy for the little guys. And didn't Stalin kill more people than than with his pen?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

And some wonder why Ukranians might not want to play with Russians.. Could it be a disregard for human life?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "SilentFutility"You laugh but when two close friends first moved to Europe from America they thought that Pearl Harbour was an attack by the Americans on the Japanese mainland and that it ended WW2...

Unfortunately lack of education rears its head all over the place.  :-|
I've met someone who thought the Italians were Allies in WWII, lol.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Stalingrad: lasted 5 months, 1 week and 3 days.

The number I quoted was civilians only.
QuoteMore importantly, WW2 casualties of the Soviet Union from all related causes were over 20 millions both civilians and military, compared about 1 million on the American side, it is a big deal in Russia.

When you have two dictators butting heads things get crappy for the little guys. And didn't Stalin kill more people than than with his pen?

Agree.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I sometimes wonder if any of what we're taught as history is factual.  Some of it has to be true..right?
Well if you're taught history properly you're taught what we think we know, and why we think we know this, and how accurate this assessment of available information is.

Having someone dictate what happened is not learning history, it is training to parrot back information.
Unfortunately this is in fact how many people are 'taught', especially in subjects like history.

Really studying history is an exercise in critical thinking, not memory recall.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I sometimes wonder if any of what we're taught as history is factual.  Some of it has to be true..right?
Well if you're taught history properly you're taught what we think we know, and why we think we know this, and how accurate this assessment of available information is.

Having someone dictate what happened is not learning history, it is training to parrot back information.
Unfortunately this is in fact how many people are 'taught', especially in subjects like history.

Really studying history is an exercise in critical thinking, not memory recall.
Yep, the question is one of historiography, and if it's done correctly. It was a required course for first semester grad students at Purdue and I found it endlessly helpful.
PZ Myers