A creepy tour through medical history.

Started by PickelledEggs, February 24, 2014, 08:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

Still not as weird as throwing a bunch of leeches on yourself hoping they'll suck out the poison.

Pretty neat though
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

SGOS

Some of that was indeed creepy.  Some of it perhaps just technology that's out of date.  That stuff isn't that old either.  I wonder where we are now?  Will current medical practices someday appear in a similar presentation of creepy medical practices?

Plu

Quote from: "SGOS"Some of that was indeed creepy.  Some of it perhaps just technology that's out of date.  That stuff isn't that old either.  I wonder where we are now?  Will current medical practices someday appear in a similar presentation of creepy medical practices?

Most definately. We are, after all, still cutting people open and poking their inner bits with sharp metal devices.

SGOS

A few years ago, you could buy reprints of the Sears Roebuck catalog from the early 1900s.  I never bought one, but I had an opportunity to browse.  There was some interesting things you could buy from Sears Roebuck, including creepy medical devices that were selling during the time.  If you ever have a chance to look through one, they are great fun, although not just because of the creepy devices.  Some of things were just nostalgia:  "Oh, I remember those things."  Some were just "WTF?"  But most of the things were obviously useful in that era, things like horse drawn farm implements.  I think you could even by a motor car.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote from: "SGOS"Some of that was indeed creepy.  Some of it perhaps just technology that's out of date.  That stuff isn't that old either.  I wonder where we are now?  Will current medical practices someday appear in a similar presentation of creepy medical practices?

Most definately. We are, after all, still cutting people open and poking their inner bits with sharp metal devices.
In the early 60s, I had the traditional knee operation for removal of torn cartilage.  It required a week's stay in the hospital, and a lot of pain.  Now people walk out of the hospital on the same day of that operation, or so I've heard.

AllPurposeAtheist

That's nothing. A lot of hospitals to this day treat things like heroin addiction with prayer. Just pray to the higher power and all gone!  :-D
In other words the treatment is no treatment at all and if you're still an addict after a few days you're just a weak person probably possessed by the devil.  :twisted:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

You wanna know what they use to open your ribs if they need to do so?

A sterilized, medical version of these:

Yeah, a lot of surgical equipment resembles stuff from the hardware store. Sometimes it is just stuff from the hardware store adopted to surgical use.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

Well, cutting bones still requires brute forces be it bolt cutters or a circular saw. They really don't have a pretty way to do it. I saw the tools they used to repair my cheek bones and they didn't look to much unlike my autobody tools.

The Skeletal Atheist

Heh. In an autopsy, when they need sections of organs, it's a kitchen knife.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Heh. In an autopsy, when they need sections of organs, it's a kitchen knife.
Yeah, infection during autopsy is a real problem for Zombies.. :shock:

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Heh. In an autopsy, when they need sections of organs, it's a kitchen knife.
Your bigotry against the undead is noted. When I had my autopsy not only was sterilization a concern, but they didn't use any anesthetic.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Your bigotry against the undead is noted. When I had my autopsy not only was sterilization a concern, but they didn't use any anesthetic.

AllPurposeAtheist

Pat Robertson warned us against the gay zombie plague so Bush was elected...  8-[