News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Do you have a boner over this?

Started by aitm, February 21, 2014, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

I admit I really find this a hard choice. You may try to convince me and others here with your points.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-court ... ket-n35846
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Anything that is destructive to a national park or state park per se, yes. But as far as the artifacts, not so much. Consider the fact that archaeologists basically desecrated Native American burial grounds for decades before they lawyered up, you have a murky area as far as artifacts. Museums everywhere are full of bones with everything from dinosaurs to prehistoric human remains, so its pretty hard to pin down what is desecration and what isn't.

AllPurposeAtheist

I immediately began masturbating soon as I saw the thread title, but the link kind of killed that.  :shock:  :-$

The paleontology community should first fess up to their past crimes before pointing fingers I would think.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I immediately began masturbating soon as I saw the thread title, but the link kind of killed that.  :shock:  :-$

The paleontology community should first fess up to their past crimes before pointing fingers I would think.

Pretty much agree. I have been to many "relic houses" and officially sanctioned museums that contained everything from appropriated dinosaur footprints to sacred Kachina dolls. I don't like to see anything defaced or damaged, especially in national parks, but it has been ongoing and approved (for the right people) for decades if not centuries.

Poison Tree

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"The paleontology community should first fess up to their past crimes before pointing fingers I would think.
Would you say the same thing following a museum heist?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

aitm

I guess my position is....if someone finds a bone they can sell the thing. Unless it is specifically roped off or pointed out its mine. A national park sign that says " digging up in the hills and finding a bone that nobody else may ever find is illegal and the bone is ours" Fuck you. If I go digging around state or national land, the land is ours fuckers and if I find something that nobody else has found, and took the fucking time to dig it up. Its mine. It some kids on a class trip fall down a hill and in the process scrap some grass and find a billion year old bone, great, let em sell it. It's a fucking bone or fossil that "belonged" to something long dead, it "belongs" to whoever finds it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AtDawnTheySquee

Well that's a nice pun you got there. But a fossil black market, seriously?

Manodo

Q: Do you have a boner over this?
A: Bigger than any dinosaur and harder than any fossil.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: "aitm"I admit I really find this a hard choice. You may try to convince me and others here with your points.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-court ... ket-n35846
I don't get a boner, but I'm disgusted by vandalism and theft, be it sanctioned or not.

SGOS

I know who took them.  Christian fundamentalists!  They are trying to get rid of the fossils.  It should be obvious. :)

Corporal Cross

I love it. Private collectors will make better of fossilized s*** by sheer virtue of the fact that while not 100% of taxpayers give a s*** about fossilized s***, 100% of people willing to pay for it do. By all means, let the private sector front the expense, and maybe some day I won't be forced to pay for modern art shows where somebody stupider than nature managed to cobble a few bits together.