Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Free will vs determinism

Started by Drummer Guy, February 21, 2014, 12:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Shol'va"I, for one, realize that I am my brain. I am the product of my gray matter in my skull.

You're a lot more than that.   If I removed your adrenal gland, it would change the way you think and act.
I don't mind watching dead fish and toilet water being added to my KFC but lets not talk about removing glands eh? thats just ....wrong..
What's that, now? Talk about glands? Can do, boss! *runs off to grab notes*
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aitm

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"What's that, now? Talk about glands? Can do, boss! *runs off to grab notes*

:shock:   NO...NO...no..no..nonononononono..... ](*,)

=;

[-o<
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Buddhist Alternative

Quote from: "Drummer Guy"I've never spent any time worrying about whether we have free will or not, because it doesn't seem to matter.  The things that happened happened.  Tomorrow will unfold however it does, regardless of my personal stance on the issue.

I'm wondering, does it actually matter?  I probably have a lot to learn on this subject so if you simply want to link me to an article that would be great.

According to Michio Kaku: "The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal has resolved the Free Will Determinism Debate in favor of Free Will"

Sal1981

Quote from: "Buddhist Alternative"
Quote from: "Drummer Guy"I've never spent any time worrying about whether we have free will or not, because it doesn't seem to matter.  The things that happened happened.  Tomorrow will unfold however it does, regardless of my personal stance on the issue.

I'm wondering, does it actually matter?  I probably have a lot to learn on this subject so if you simply want to link me to an article that would be great.

According to Michio Kaku: "The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal has resolved the Free Will Determinism Debate in favor of Free Will"
I think you're shitting out the wrong end, dude.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Buddhist Alternative"

Just one problem:  the Heisenberg uncertainth principle applies to QM system. The brain is not one. I don't know of any biologist or neurologist who needs QM to do research. Kaku should stick to physics.