What political "red lines" do you have?

Started by zarus tathra, February 19, 2014, 11:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

What kinds of behaviors are absolutely NOT OKAY according to your political beliefs?

For me, my red line is book burning and regulation of the Internet. The free flow of information is the most important thing to a functioning society IMO, and these are two behaviors that are explicitly about closing down the free flow of information. Any regime or movement that supports the burning of books needs to burn.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

AllPurposeAtheist

Selling phoney patriotism as prelude to war.. Tie a yellow ribbon bullshit and wrap yourself in the flag as an excuse to pick peoples pockets and send people to die to protect corporate profit over human life and dignity..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Insult to Rocks

Generalization. Just because one person does it, doesn't mean everyone does.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

zarus tathra

QuoteSelling phoney patriotism as prelude to war.. Tie a yellow ribbon bullshit and wrap yourself in the flag as an excuse to pick peoples pockets and send people to die to protect corporate profit over human life and dignity..

I like this one.

QuoteGeneralization. Just because one person does it, doesn't mean everyone does.

That's kind of a billion times more abstract than what I was looking for.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "zarus tathra"
QuoteSelling phoney patriotism as prelude to war.. Tie a yellow ribbon bullshit and wrap yourself in the flag as an excuse to pick peoples pockets and send people to die to protect corporate profit over human life and dignity..

I like this one.

QuoteGeneralization. Just because one person does it, doesn't mean everyone does.

That's kind of a billion times more abstract than what I was looking for.
I didn't mean for it to be abstract. I meant the stategy people use to label other parties as something their not.
Like Republicans accusing gay people of being pedophiles because a very small few are.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

hillbillyatheist

people who blindly follow an ideology instead of simply looking at the facts and then  deciding what the best option is. example: people that try to assume the free market is always best or that government is always best, or blindly support everything under the banner of communism, libertarianism, liberalism, conservatism, or any other kind of ism.

people that try to shut others down instead of debating them. this includes even people like racists by the way. an example: the Colorado House lady who thinks black poverty is caused by fried chicken and water melon. the response was to say how DARE she say that, instead of simply explaining why she was wrong.

fox news and people and politicians who lie (like when Paul Ryan pretended to wash plates at a homeless shelter, or sean hannity twisting Obama's words to make it sound like he was for a tax hike) Also folks who try to cheat or rig the system with things like gerrymandering.

a quick note: the last two do not contradict. if you really think Obama is for higher taxes on the poor and say that as your honest opinion, I'm okay with that, and will simply debate you. you just don't know any better, and were tricked by faux news. if you know thats bullshit but say it anyway to deceive voters, then you are slime. I'm looking at you sean hannity.

lastly anybody who looks at things with only their self interest in mind and not compassion for others. Example: should we help the poor? no fuck 'em, I want my taxes lower so I can have a few billion more dollars, that I could never spend in 20 life times.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

zarus tathra

QuoteI didn't mean for it to be abstract. I meant the stategy people use to label other parties as something their not.
Like Republicans accusing gay people of being pedophiles because a very small few are.

Fair enough, but all human reasoning is heuristic/probabilistic. If you take this too far, then people won't be allowed to classify or judge anything.

Atheon

If a political candidate opposes abortion rights, I will NOT vote for them. Period.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Plu

Anyone who sees politics as a profession or carreer is bad in my book.

SGOS

Too many red lines to list.  But I will say I am offended by bullshit.  I will try to understand opposing points of view, but when the bullshit starts, I'm gone.  I might disagree when someone says, "I don't give a shit about he environment," but I can appreciate the honesty.  However, when they say, "Global warming is a myth," I stop listening.

DunkleSeele

Push legislation based on religious "values".

zarus tathra

Quote from: "DunkleSeele"Push legislation based on religious "values".

Fair enough, but seriously, practically any strong moral value system is basically indistinguishable from a religion.

Let me add one: female genital mutilation. Not a problem outside of Africa/Indonesia, but still.

Edit: and another: gross hypocrisy on the part of any organized political faction. Whenever a politically active group fails to win people over through virtue and example, the only avenues of influence left are bribery and intimidation, which are things we don't need more of in our political realm.

Sal1981

Really good thread.

I only, on the top of my head, think the almost automatic assumption that spin doctors and blatant  political lies is a given annoys the fuck outta me.

Atheon

The use of deceit and dirty tricks when campaigning is also a major no-no in my view. People who engage in such practices are unfit to govern.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca