News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kiev burning.

Started by Insult to Rocks, February 18, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

God...Shits hitting the fan
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Plu

AllPurposeAtheist

It's very serious. The Ukraine is at the crossroads of the east v west fight that's been brewing for a very long time. They talk of sanctions in Washington as if it's the solution and war unspeakable,  but you have to know planning includes the possibility of a very ugly war where both sides pretend doesn't happen. It's not an easy call and could easily spiral way out of control. I'm really glad John McCain didn't win the presidency.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"It's very serious. The Ukraine is at the crossroads of the east v west fight that's been brewing for a very long time. They talk of sanctions in Washington as if it's the solution and war unspeakable,  but you have to know planning includes the possibility of a very ugly war where both sides pretend doesn't happen. It's not an easy call and could easily spiral way out of control. I'm really glad John McCain didn't win the presidency.
Yeah, if this new development turns into civil war I don't think Russia is just going to sit by. If Russia gets into the fray supporting one side financially and militarily the west, particularly the US, will take notice. This could turn really ugly really fast.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shol'va

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Yeah, if this new development turns into civil war I don't think Russia is just going to sit by. If Russia gets into the fray supporting one side financially and militarily the west, particularly the US, will take notice. This could turn really ugly really fast.
Even if they do, wanna bet it'll never make the light of day?

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Shol'va"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Yeah, if this new development turns into civil war I don't think Russia is just going to sit by. If Russia gets into the fray supporting one side financially and militarily the west, particularly the US, will take notice. This could turn really ugly really fast.
Why wouldn't it?
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shol'va

Because this is Russia we are talking about. I have faith in their ability to covertly support a war behind the scenes

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "Shol'va"Because this is Russia we are talking about. I have faith in their ability to covertly support a war behind the scenes
We're not talking about the USSR anymore Shol'va. Russia can barely hold a stable government together. They've been on a lot of nations shit lists since blocking resolutions regarding the Syrian civil war, not to mention the olympics and the anti-gay laws. The media coverage of Russia at the moment is probably the highest it's been in years. It would be a really bad move for Russia to get involved without the U.Ns aproval.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Shol'va

Don't be fooled by acronyms, it's a too common mistake. I did not say with a high degree of confidence they WILL do this. I said should they choose to, they can make it happen. The UN and the lot of them are hardly in a position right now to raise any sort of pressure against Russia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_in_ ... rgy_sector

AllPurposeAtheist

The UN is a toilet paper tiger when it comes to war even in very small nations. The US, Europe and Russia are well schooled in covert war and no doubt this one has been on the drawing board for a long time with the manufacturers of the tools of the trade of war fully prepared to ramp up production if that isn't already in the works.
The UN will provide cover as paper diplomats jockey for camera face time, but the dirty business will go on as if nothing is happening at all.

Shol'va

Sternly worded letters only do so much, right?  :rollin:

Moriarty

Quote from: "Shol'va"

That is what I'm thinking and questioning. There is so little coverage here (U.S.) of what is happening there. It almost seems as if, even the liberal media, is afraid to report on people uprising against a government in a supposedly democratic/free nation.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

AllPurposeAtheist

And this time they really, really, really, really mean it. Everyone sing Kumbya or else!

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "Shol'va"Don't be fooled by acronyms, it's a too common mistake. I did not say with a high degree of confidence they WILL do this. I said should they choose to, they can make it happen. The UN and the lot of them are hardly in a position right now to raise any sort of pressure against Russia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_in_ ... rgy_sector
I only ment that Russia is nowhere near as unified as it was under the Soviets. They're having problems keeping they're own country together. That's why they're pouring so much money into Sochi: It's a hail mary to try to regain legitimacy and unify their country. They probably are too focused on it to care about Ukraine.
As for the rest, I only ment that any intervention wouldn't go unoticed, not that there'd be a effective response.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

AllPurposeAtheist

IR, Russia has been around for some time and isn't likely to just disolve any time soon.  They have problems,  but so does every nation. Don't be fooled by the media reports of collapse or disarray. They still hold a very strong seat in the UN, still have vast oil and gas reserves and a rather large military infrastructure.