News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kiev burning.

Started by Insult to Rocks, February 18, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Shol'va"Putin hatin' on gays and yet he takes the backdoor to Ukraine.
:rollin:
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

aileron

Quote from: "Moriarty"That being said, I've read a couple articles that attempt to explain how this is no win for him so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It is a no-win for him now that the troops are there.  There's little doubt he realizes it now that it's too late.  His military leaders spooked him into thinking Russia's North Sea fleet access was in jeopardy.  It probably never was, and so Putin has virtually nothing to gain by this and lots to lose.  He'll probably try to keep the troop deployment as low profile as possible before making a face-saving excuse to withdraw them.

QuoteA couple have suggested that the U.N. will fast track a very eager to join Georgia into the U.N...

Do you mean EU?  Georgia has been an independent member state of the U.N. for years.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Moriarty

Quote from: "aileron"
Quote from: "Moriarty"That being said, I've read a couple articles that attempt to explain how this is no win for him so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It is a no-win for him now that the troops are there.  There's little doubt he realizes it now that it's too late.  His military leaders spooked him into thinking Russia's North Sea fleet access was in jeopardy.  It probably never was, and so Putin has virtually nothing to gain by this and lots to lose.  He'll probably try to keep the troop deployment as low profile as possible before making a face-saving excuse to withdraw them.

QuoteA couple have suggested that the U.N. will fast track a very eager to join Georgia into the U.N...

Do you mean EU? Georgia has been an independent member state of the U.N. for years.

Most likely, which is why I probably couldn't find the articles when I looked again. :) Although I am quite sure they read U.N., which would be their mistake.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "aileron"

Do you mean EU?  Georgia has been an independent member state of the U.N. for years.
Hopefully he'll find a way to find a way pull out to save face. He could just as easily go for crushing Ukraine's military in order to send a "don't fuck with me" message. It seems unlikely, by crazier things have happened. We're a miscalculation or a stray bullet away from war.

It's all on Putin now. I hate the guy, but I really hope he makes the right decision. If he doesn't then this will turn really really ugly really fast.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

This can and probably will destroy Russian economy.  Losing weight with the G8 etc, diplomatic isolation. Bad move.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shol'va